RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Route Guide Book

Author Topic: Route Guide Book
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two years ago, I was on the SW Chief... someone in the lounge car had a book.. not a pamphlet... it had mile marker by mile marker descriptions of what you see when you look out the window. I am interested to see if someone out there knows of what I am talking about... I need to same for California Zephyr and Empire Builder.
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try looking through www.railbookstore.com , & see if it is there.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have these on www.amtrak.com if you go to the route page, but they are not nearly as good as the old ones [Frown]
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maxmarch:
Two years ago, I was on the SW Chief... someone in the lounge car had a book.. not a pamphlet... it had mile marker by mile marker descriptions of what you see when you look out the window. I am interested to see if someone out there knows of what I am talking about... I need to same for California Zephyr and Empire Builder.

Sounds like you're describing a book called 'Rail Ventures'.

The route descriptions were by running time from the previous station rather than by mile marker. It's an invaluable resource for the regular Amtrak rider or general enthusiast. It was published by 'Rail Ventures Publications' in Ouray, Colorado and went through several revisions in an attempt to keep track of route additions and, sadly, discontinuances.

The latest revision that I'm aware of was the 6th Edition published in 1994. Shortly after that I heard or read (but don't recall where) that the author had reached an age where he could no longer travel and that the 6th edition would be the last.

I'd suggest trying on-line used book resources such as Amazon or even eBay. You'll not regret owning this book if you can find it.

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, the book-in-question was heavily based on the Amtrak Route Guides you'll find here:

www.trainweb.com/cgi-bin/top/tw_do.cgi?routes/indexf.html

Take a look and print 'em out. They're free.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an old Great Northern booklet that you can find on the web that lists that kind of thing for most of the Empire Builder route. I downloaded a copy last year and it was great to use on my trip. Of course, the info dated to the 50s so some of the population numbers and such didn't make sense.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by panamaclipper:
There's an old Great Northern booklet that you can find on the web.

There are actually two vintage Great Northern Route Guides on the web. You'll find them here:

www.gngoat.org/route_guides.htm

(you'll also find other interesting booklets and related material on the www.gngoat.org site)

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethelred
Member # 3672

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ethelred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also "USA By Rail" by John Pitt.
Posts: 12 | From: Lexington, MA, United States | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page