RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Superliner Bedroom Vs. Family Room on Autotrain with 1 and 2 Year Old

Author Topic: Superliner Bedroom Vs. Family Room on Autotrain with 1 and 2 Year Old
ArRzrbk
Member # 3756

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArRzrbk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We currently have a Superliner Bedroom on hold on the Autotrain to Florida for 2 adults (my husband and myself) and our two children (age 1 and age 2). Will that work? I am really hoping so, because our oldest son is really excited about taking the train, and Dad is excited about not having to drive for at least the trip down to Disney.

We opted for the Superliner Bedroom over the Family Bedroom, since the Superliner Bedroom has its own bath, and the children are both too little to sleep by themselves in the small beds the Family Bedroom had. That sounds logical to me and doable, but has anyone done this? How did you handle the sleeping?

If your family has done this trip, who got what bunks and did you get any rest at all, or were you afraid you would roll off the edge all night? The upper bunk is just 2' 4" wide! The lower isn't much better. It is 3' 4" wide. I understand there is a chair that may or may not recline, or do they take that out at night? Just thinking that might be safer for me and the baby. Husband could sleep on the lower bed with 2 year old. Or maybe I will end up sleeping with both children on the bottom bed?

We have a week to decide about this. I think it's gona be OK, but I really need to hear from someone who had basically the same senario going on. This is a lot of money for us, and I want to get this right. Help!!! Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two medium sized adults can sleep in the lower (200+ lbs is not 'medium'). I'm actually very large (280) and have slept in the upper, but prefer the lower (by myself). Either parent if not overly large should be able to sleep on the outside edge with the kids inside, and the other parent in the upper.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A suggestion for a bit more comfort: If you can find one at this time of year (try your local 99 Cent Store), buy an inexpensive little plastic air mattress or inflatable kiddie pool raft. Blow it up and place it on the carpeted floor alongside the lower berth.

Let dad sleep in the narrower upper berth.

Put yourself and your 1 year-old in the wider lower berth.

Let your 2 year-old sleep on the little air mattress. Since it's on the floor, he can't fall, and my guess is that he'll love it. Your car attendant can provide an extra blanket and pillow, or you can bring one of your own.

Have a great trip.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArRzrbk
Member # 3756

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArRzrbk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is an excellent suggestion! I will check QVC right now, as I have seen children's airbeds like that complete with sheets that weren't too expensive. Thank you!

Char

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DO NOT get the Family bedroom, on the Auto train, unless you would like to be violently thrown around through the night. The visability is also, not that great. Personal experience!!!

Just my 2 cents.

JP

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canoe86
Member # 3099

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canoe86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get this deluxe bedroom or whatever it is called now, ( the one with the bathroom ) with a 7 and 3 year old. My wife sleeps on the top bunk. The 3 year old and myself sleep one direction, the 7 year old the other, on the lower bunk. Bit cramped but it works, plus I have a hard time sleeping on the train regardless. Plus I will trade a cramped nights sleep to running back and forth to the bathroom anyday! BTW, take a flashlight!!!!
Posts: 30 | From: michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page