RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Express??

Author Topic: Amtrak Express??
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all --
I was reading some dated material about Amtrak Express as an inexpensive alternative to UPS or FedEx. Anyone here have any experience using this service? How are the costs determined?
Thanks!

--------------------
Mike
www.trainweb.org/xcrr5375

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if there is a shiping service by Amtrak, then I just found my new way of Shiping!
Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak flirted with the express shipping business for several years, attaching freight cars to the passenger trains. The express business is being phased out because it was not bringing in as much money as hoped, and it was causing problems with the passenger schedules.

But that may not be what you saw. There is also an express parcel service in the UK called Amtrak. It is not related in any way to the American passenger railroad. See: http://www.amtrak.co.uk/

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about the package express service?

This basically conssists of shipping packages from/to any station with checked baggage service.

You can ship anything from an envelope to pallets of boxes, but the receiver must pick up from the receiving train station, there is no door to door delivery.

The cost is driven by weight and is relatively reasonable.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes, I had forgotten about that. Amtrak ships fresh flowers from Salinas in the baggage car. There are often boxes of these stacked in the corner of the station prior to #14's arrival. The flower growers made quite a fuss when Amtrak suspended checked baggage service for about a year.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try shipping a coffin loaded with a body! It works as long as you will pick it up in a timely fashion!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those that remember passenger trains pre-Amtrak, Pojon mentions something that was very commonly done. In fact, the funeral directors and their associations were amongst those objecting to train offs in quite a few areas of the country for that reason.

IIRC, a coffin moved in baggage service at the rate of one unrestricted first class fare.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page