RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » coast 'back to normal'

Author Topic: coast 'back to normal'
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First day of 'fully restored' service on coast to/from/thru San Luis Obispo.
#779 1.5 hours late
#14 1.5 hours late
#11 3.0 hours late
#775 3.0+ hours late

wheeeee!

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, sounds like things are back to normal alright... [Razz]
Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuperFudd
Member # 3775

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperFudd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to a (this) rail forum. What messed up the Starlight prior to today? Somehow, I wasn't aware of a problem.
Posts: 4 | From: Union City Ca. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The storms that battered us in the early weeks of January, 2005 caused some pretty extreme damage to Union Pacific's Santa Barbara sub, which broke all train service along the Coast Line for several weeks. Pacific Surfliners resumed service between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara earlier in February, but it took a bit more time to ready the line beyond Santa Barbara so that service to points North (read: resuming Coast Starlight Service south of Oakland and the "Central Coast" Pacific Surfliners to San Luis Obispo)

Union Pacific posted photos of the damage here:
http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/west_coast/photos2.shtml

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just looking over 11 & 14's timekeeping into Salinas for the last few days.

#11 has been performing wonderfully, being early on a couple of days, and the greatest delay was only about 45 minutes. However, it has lost a fair amount of time, up to 3 hours, by the time it gets to Santa barbara.

#14 is just the opposite. It has typically been 3 hours late into Salinas, and once as much as 5 hours late. That is not unheard of, but it is pretty extreme.

Are there slow orders around the repaired areas that might be causing this? I want to go visit my mother before long, but I don't want to hang around the Salinas station for hours waiting for #14. (We have to take the bus from Monterey, which runs on schedule.)

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page