RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Mineta on NPR

Author Topic: Mineta on NPR
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sec of Transportation was on National Public Radio Friday. He talked about not killing AMTRAK but trying to get states put in money to use it as a inter city transportation system a shared funding proposel to get states to help promote and market a rail system.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tanner929:
Sec of Transportation was on National Public Radio Friday. He talked about not killing AMTRAK but trying to get states put in money to use it as a inter city transportation system a shared funding proposel to get states to help promote and market a rail system.

Mineta is beating the same drum on his 'cross-country' tour but his message is misleading.

The $29 billion spent since 1971 figure represents less than 3% of total transportaion spending in that time and is still less federal money than the airlines have squandered since 2001.

The 'offer' to buy long-distance passengers an airline ticket as being cheaper than running the train ignores the fact that the majority (12 of 16 in NC) of Amtrak stations are in towns that do not have an airport.......

The 'plan' to split capitol investments in rail passengers with the states 50/50 is misleading in that the federal/state split for highways is closer to 80/20 and the individual states would still be responsible for 100% of the train's operating expenses.

What I like least about this reform plan......even more so than the underhanded way it's being promoted.....is that these media events are only being held in the 10 or 12 states that have made significant investment in passenger rail service and would stand to retain some service in the post Amtrak environment. The secretary, for instance, isn't going to New Orleans, Denver, or Houston.

Don't be mislead by Norm's presentations. His plan is intended to end long-distance intercity rail passenger service. He knows this and is telling lies when he claims otherwise.

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, the anti-Amtrak crowd generally doesn't listen to "liberal" NPR so Mineta probably didn't reach his intended audience anyway.

The more I hear from Mineta, the less sense he makes. I'm beginning to think he'll eventually collapse under the weight of his own swelled head. Sooner or later some reporter is going to do some fact checking, and find out he's not telling the truth (i.e. "nobody rides" long distance trains).

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
FWIW, the anti-Amtrak crowd generally doesn't listen to "liberal" NPR so Mineta probably didn't reach his intended audience anyway.

The more I hear from Mineta, the less sense he makes. I'm beginning to think he'll eventually collapse under the weight of his own swelled head. Sooner or later some reporter is going to do some fact checking, and find out he's not telling the truth (i.e. "nobody rides" long distance trains).

Valid points about NPR and the empty train fallacy. I rode the Carolinian northbound earlier today. About 20 people boarded with me in High Point, NC.......another 80-90 in Greensboro. Business Class was 70% full, coach about 85-90%. I'm sure that the folks in Greensboro would be surprised to learn that they live in a place no one wants to travel to.

I should add that I picketed Mineta's appearance at the Charlotte, NC Amtrak station on February 22nd.

My sign read "Invest Federal $$$$$$$$ in Amtrak, not misleading media events."

A reporter from a Winston-Salem, NC TV station asked me how the press conference would be misleading. I cited and refuted three or four things that Mineta would say, for instance the $29 billion dollar figure, the business about buying airline tickets for Amtrak passengers (which David Stockman cited in 1981 when Reagan attempted to zero out Amtrak), the fallacy of running a train through a state that wouldn't ante up without stopping, and the business about the trains being empty.

The same reporter spoke to me on the way out expressing surprise that Mineta had said everything I told her he would. I told her that he had given the same press conference in Chicago a week earlier.

As for the media questions here, nothing overly harsh although one reporter tried to pin Mineta down on an exact dollar figure that North Carolina could expect under Amtrak reform and another pointed out that Charlotte is a major US Airways hub and asked if there would be more federal support now that US Air is again teetering near bankruptcy. Mineta said "next question" in response to the US Air question (which came earlier) and looked at his aid who explained that they must be going to keep on schedule in response to the latter.

The very BEST remark of the day came from NC DOT undersecretary David King who, in prepared remarks, said to Mineta that while North Carolina welcomed additional federal aid for their rail initiatives, that any type of reform that would create chaos......such as putting Amtrak into bankruptcy.....was unacceptable.

I suggest that America can afford Amtrak. I'm not sure if we can afford our DOT Secretary.

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed this [Frown]

Was this on "The Morning Edition"

Does anyone have a link to a sound file of this on NPR's website?

thanks

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind that, I found it!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4522363

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody considered the irony of railing (pun intended) against a governments subisidsed railroad passenger system over a government subsidised radio network broadcast on government subsidised radio stations? After all, that is what National Public Radio is. Government subsidised broadcasting. And there are lots of privately funded alternatives. There is no privately funded REGULARLY SCHEDULED long distance rail passenger service. Consistency, anyone?
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Notelvis,

I am looking to relocate from CT to High Point. I see the NCDOT Travel by Train signs on I-85. Wouldn't it be better for commuters in NC to have a commuter line to have regualarly scheduled trains linking Charlotte with the Piedmont as well as the Triad? looking over the Amtrak schedules I don't see any flexibility for train commuters looks like one or two trains north and south?

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
To Notelvis,

I am looking to relocate from CT to High Point. I see the NCDOT Travel by Train signs on I-85. Wouldn't it be better for commuters in NC to have a commuter line to have regualarly scheduled trains linking Charlotte with the Piedmont as well as the Triad? looking over the Amtrak schedules I don't see any flexibility for train commuters looks like one or two trains north and south?

Plans are underway for additional trains in North Carolina. A midday schedule (bringing the total to three) between Raleigh and Charlotte has been discussed. Links to Asheville and Wilmington from this main stem have been talked about for years.

These are intercity routes the NCDOT is talking about. The Triangle Transit Authority is working on bonafide commuter rail in the Raleigh/Durham area.

And if you do make it to High Point, you absolutely must see the renovated rail station there. It is a true gem.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
Has anybody considered the irony of railing (pun intended) against a governments subisidsed railroad passenger system over a government subsidised radio network broadcast on government subsidised radio stations?

LOL, that's a good one. Actually some of the same political factions trying to kill Amtrak have been trying to kill public broadcasting since the Reagan years, whith little to show for it. George Will wrote a column against public broadcasting just a few days ago. See Cut Buster Loose (registration required).
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Notelvis,

Thank you for the info. I have visited the renovated rail station in High Point it is a gem, near the String & Splinter! I am glad so many of the old rail stations and depots are being saved even if their is no or limited rail service the building are great landmarks and historical significance.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Notelvis,

Thank you for the info. I have visited the renovated rail station in High Point it is a gem, near the String & Splinter! I am glad so many of the old rail stations and depots are being saved even if their is no or limited rail service the building are great landmarks and historical significance.

All things are relative but I would point out that the High Point station does serve 6 Amtrak trains (Piedmont, Carolinian, and Crescent) every 24 hours. That's a pittance for any location on the NEC but most of the rest of the country would be thrilled to have High Point's frequency. Six a day. That's as many as Houston and Tucson see in a week. Same for Cincinnati.......yes, things could be better but we North Carolinians are more fortunate than most!

David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page