RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SW Chief sightseer car & Flagstaff restaurants

Author Topic: SW Chief sightseer car & Flagstaff restaurants
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! All of my train trips have been E of the Mississippi and all my sleeping roomettes have been Viewliners, so I am unfamiliar with the Superliner setup, other than what you all have said here. I am going to Flagstaff/Grand Canyon this spring and going Superliner Roomette only as far as New Mexico, then coach on to Flagstaff. So I have these questions: Should I get in the observation car at Albuquerque or earlier or just try to get a good coach seat in Albuquerque? Is there an upstairs and downstairs to the coach or observation deck? Is it hard to get a seat with a good view at that point in the trip? Which side of the train has the better views going West--or should I just sit on the same side going West and East and that way see both sides?

Also, does anyone have any tips on restaurants in downtown Flagstaff near the train station or in the old/historical part of town? I love Mexican and southwestern food but I'd also like some other things--Asian any good? BBQ? any moderately priced fine dining or steakhouses? I'm also esp interested in hearing about good breakfast places. Thanks so much

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We rode the SWC from LAX to CHI last June in what is now called a bedroom.
We had no problem with seating in the observation car, there was alway ample seating available.
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is just an upstairs. I live in ABQ and have frequently found the observation car pretty crowded, so I'd probably go up there pretty quickly. I just drove the route this weekend to and from Phx, and I'd go for the right hand(north side) of the train. It seems there are better rock formations, etc on that side IMHO.

I don't recall what is near the station in Flag, but it's a beautiful town!

Have a great trip!

Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Flagstaff, I liked the breakfast at the "Downtown Diner", or "Kathy's Place" both near the train station. For dinner, the busy "Beaver Street Brew Pub" served a reasonably priced and tasty meal.
Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second Kathy's Place for breakfast. Good food at a reasonable price. It's 1/2 block north and 2 blocks east of the station, if I remember correctly.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the information! I am really getting excited about the trips.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mountain scenery starts at Trinidad, and is equal on both sides of train. I have a preference for the north (right) side of the train because of the very beautiful stations on that side. The vast vistas of New Mexico (and its unusually intense blue sky) are best enjoyed from the domed lounge. I would find it difficult to spend any time in a sleeper after La Junta due to the limited visibility.

Apache Canyon, slightly wider than the train, is just before Lamy. To me the scenery east of ABQ is at least equal to that west, which is primarily colorful but distant rock formations and the painted desert (with lots of fast freight traffic).

You will have a long stop in ABQ, so plan on visiting the vendors that come to the train, and enjoying the weather (it is much warmer than Flag).

All Superliner cars are 2 levels. All movement between cars is on the upper. The upper level lounge is all windows with wrap around glass that continues to the ceiling and seats facing the windows. The cafe and tables are on the lower. Most bedrooms are on the upper level and roomettes only allow you to see one direction and only from the lower bed.

Enjoy your trip. It is my personal favorite.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For dining BBQ, I recommend "Bigfoot BBQ" downtown. It's a bit tricky to find, but it's in (under) the Heritage Square Shops a few blocks north of the station. I can provide you with directions if you'd like, but you will probably be able to ask any local for them when you get here.
"Charly's" is a good restaurant in the Hotel Weatherford downtown, also near the station.
South of the tracks on Beaver St. is a coffee shop called "Macy's." It's good to hit in the morning to wake up, and also offers breakfast and lunch. Next to that is "La Bellavia", a restaurant offering local flavor, great artwork, and decent prices.
A fancier route would be "Pasto" (Italian) and "Mountain Oasis" (international selection), also downtown.
Whatever you end up doing, have fun! Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll be happy to offer my opinions and suggestions...
~Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm in Flagstaff I like to go to Buster's. They have amazing fish and chips, and a good bar too! It's pretty close to most everything downtown. Here's a link to what I could find about Busters on Google Buster's

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page