RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » UPDATE: American Train Station Directory! - feedback needed!

Author Topic: UPDATE: American Train Station Directory! - feedback needed!
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, hey, version 2 of the station info website is UP and RUNNING. (well, I call it version 0.8, but that's because I'm a computer science nerd and anything before final release is less than 1. But anyway.) Again note that this won't be the final web address; I'm just using my school's general storage to set up the site for the time being. I think I'm going to try and get TrainWeb storage for the site, but that'll come after the name & design are finalized and we start building content.

http://www.augustana.edu/students/david-breisch/newsite2/index.htm

Notes: I redesigned the whole visual style, and frankly it seems kinda blah to me (but maybe your opinion will differ.) Let me know what you think. Once I get more creative (and proficient) with Photoshop then maybe I can do something to spice it up a bit. But for now, you get red. Lots of it.

One (and same) station page has content, that's Chicago. Take a look, it's much the same though I'm tried to implement many recommendations from the previous version. (Mr. Toy, check out the "insider's guide" at the bottom. I was debating about whether I should make that visually set off so much from the rest of the info, so I'd really like your opinion on whether or not that helps with your vision on making it more informal. Frankly, I'm not sure that it does, but let me know what you think.)

Again, I would love (and need) feedback, so anything and everything you have to say, then say it. I want to hear it. Specifically, if you have time to ponder these,

1) The station info categories (Hours, Trains, Parking, etc...). Too many or too little?

2) Welcome page and the intro text... what other info might we need to put on the first page that people see when they enter the site?

4) Any other important links we need on the left-hand navigation bar?

Still looking for people to help me coordinate the whole effort! Web experience not necessary! In fact you wouldn't even need to do much yet, but I will need volunteers when I do need help with getting things done!

Thanks for your help, everyone... let me know what you think!

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a tremendous improvement, and not just because you used the name I suggested. [Smile] I don't mind the dark red at all (I use something similar on my website), and I don't think it looks blah. It is clean and uncluttered, unlike many websites these days.

Your opening paragraph on CUS is well written. Professional but with a personal touch.

The insider's guide is just the sort of thing I had in mind. However, I would put it up closer to the top, since it offers the sort of intimate detail that is unavailable elsewhere, and isn't that the main idea? Its kind of lost way down at the bottom. That's my $0.02 anyway.

The target links at the top are a good idea, to help with page navigation. You might give them a heading such as "Page index" or "CUS shortcuts" or something like that to help them stand out. Otherwise the format is good.

One more suggestion, links to other sites (such as Amtrak) should open a new browser window. Its a good way to hold onto readers, and lets them wander away without losing their place.

Bottom line: I'm impressed with what you've done, and I look forward to being a contributor.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great, Briz!!! Let us know when you are ready for contributions about other stations.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like its going great, you might want to make your Station and Route section tabs more distinct from the Amtrak listings. I like the links to the Commuter lines and Mass transit. May I suggest you have an area to point out points of interests along the routes especially for LD riders. Hopefully readers will send in Pictures of Stations many of these structures are under Landmark protection.

PS if at the Chicago Union Station link you listed Wrigley Field you should mention the Park on the South Side "New" Cominsky Park (I can't call it US Cellular or what ever its named know. They renovated it last year and it is much nicer these days.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an idea,

I often wished the Amtrak conductors would announce the time period between departures at certain landmark stations so a passanger might be able to leave the train and view the station waiting rooms without fear of being left behind.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page