RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » orange flat car

Author Topic: orange flat car
nick massa
Member # 3733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nick massa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not long ago I saw an orange amtrak mow flat car just north of newark penn station. On one end of the car was mounted an engine driven fan - the fan was BIG. mounted on the opposite end of the car wasm a freight car wheelset. Is this car used to blow snow from the mainline???
Posts: 5 | From: dunellen high school | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am guessing here, but I would suspect that it is for ventilation when working in the Hudson River tunnels. The freight car wheelset on the other end was probably to improve the weight balance, but again I am guessing.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nick massa
Member # 3733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nick massa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you George - I never thought of the ventilation use - good point and good guess.
I figured the wheelset was used for balance so good to hear similiar idea on that.
Nick [Smile]

Posts: 5 | From: dunellen high school | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page