RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » on and off the Sunset Limited

Author Topic: on and off the Sunset Limited
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I manage to take the Sunset Limited before it folds (assuming it does), I would be interested in stopping in New Orleans, San Antonio, and Tucson. Any advice on these stops, where to stay, what taxi service is like, and what stations are like? Is it safe to hang out in San Antonio and Tucson, waiting for a train in the middle of the night, esp with the Sunset Limited's poor track record, schedulewise? If I were to return from Tucson, would you advise I take the Sunset Limited to San Antonio, or do you think I am better off on a (blech) bus for that part of the trip? Thanks for the tips.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
San Antonio has a waiting room that you can use while waiting for the train. It's not big, but it has vending machines. Check the Amtrak website for opening hours. I had no problems there.

New Orleans station is not in the best part of town. Take a taxi to or from the station (it's also not that close to anywhere interesting).

I'd take the train back. As the SL is *supposed* to arrive in the early hours at San Antonio, a late train is actually advantaguous in that you'll arrive at a more *sociable* hour - useful for checking into hotels, although mine was kind enough to check me in at 6am with no extra charge.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your input, Geoff. Just to clarify, I am especially concerned to know if it is such a good idea to take the train back east from Tucson (not from San Antonio) and wondering if I should take the bus instead from Tucson to San Antonio (and then take the train back the rest of the way, possibly the Texas Eagle, or possibly the SL to New Orleans, spend time there instead of on the trip west, and go back to the NE on the Crescent, or possibly the SL to FL, and go back from there). What I am worried about is hanging around in Tucson train station in the middle of the night waiting for an eastbound train that is very very late. Is it safe? Will a lot of others be in the Tucson station when the SL is late? Does anyone know? Thanks.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, east from Tucson is what I meant. However, having checked the website I see schedule changes are already in place - I hadn't realised that, sorry! However, with all those extra hours padding, perhaps it'll run closer to schedule?

I haven't boarded or alighted in Tucson but a fair few people do seem to do so. Beyond that, I don't know anything about Tucson.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
I'm sorry, what does the expression "a fair few people do seem to do so." Do only a few get on and off in Tucson, or do a fair amount?

My friend in Tucson says the train station is in a bad section and it would not be a good idea for a female traveling solo to hang around there in the middle of the night waiting for a very late train. OTOH, I have no idea that a bus to San Antonio would be particularly pleasant either, and said friend never takes the train and knows no one who does (and thinks I am nutty for not flying etc etc, you know the spiel) and so the opinion of the Tucson station may be inaccurate. If there is staff and even a handful of people there I doubt I will need to worry. I am looking for more information and opinions of the Tucson train station and departing there on the Sunset Limited in the middle of the night, from someone who does know more about it. Help, anyone?!?!?!?! Thanks so much!

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

"A fair few" means a handful, not a huge number, but I'd estimate at 10-15 people. That number would obviously vary according to the season and the day of the week. I doubt you'd be alone. Sorry, perhaps that is a British expression?!

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

ethelred
Member # 3672

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ethelred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned from Tucson on the Sunset Limited, and I waited in the station from about 11 pm to about 3 am when the train finally arrived. There were a security man and a ticket agent in attendance. I am an older woman (I hesitate to say elderly--I don't feel it!) traveling alone, and I felt perfectly safe. There was a couple waiting there when I arrived, and later there were 15-20 people getting on. I went as far as Jacksonville and then I went north from there.
Posts: 12 | From: Lexington, MA, United States | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info! Ethelred, that is exactly what I wanted to know--as long as there is security, I will opt for the train. With the new schedules, it departs at 2 AM, though--I wonder if there will be the same amount of people at that hour!!! Geoff, I have heard the expression but I never really thought about what it meant till just now, and then I wanted to be sure we were on the same page! Thanks again.
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been in the Tucson station (went to Tucson to visit my sister many times) and it seemed respectable and safe with a ticket agent on duty and 2 cops around. I would be more wary to wait in "my own" station in Palatka, FL which is in a bad ghetto neighborhood and plenty lonely at night. The platform is not even lit at night when trains come and go! A negative "delight". Only good thing is that the station is also the Greyhound station and a taxi terminal for 2 taxi companies so there is someone in attendance but no cops.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fla1
Member # 2989

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fla1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you also not recommending leaving a car near the station overnight for seeveral days?

That's a serious question.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fla1:
Would you also not recommending leaving a car near the station overnight for seeveral days?

That's a serious question.

What kind of car? That could make a big difference. About half my life, including now, I have had cars of the leave-it-in-a-bad-neighborhood-with-the-motor-running-and-it-will be-there-until-after-it-runs-out-of-gas type. That type could be safe almost anywhere. On the other hand, if you have a newer fairly nice high value model that chop shops like, it would need the manned lighted and guarded lot to be safe, regardless of neighborhood.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snake
Member # 2430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for snake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had friends bring and leave our car at the Tucson station in the evening when we were coming home on the Sunset Limited. (not wanting to worry our friends about when that darn choo-choo is gonna get in) We were not particularly concerned about leaving a fairly new but modest sedan in the area.

The parking spaces at the station have parking meeters, but free from around 6PM to 8AM, so long term parking there wouldn't be practical.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page