RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr

Author Topic: California Zephyr
hysantafe
Member # 2064

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hysantafe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are taking the CZ from Chicago to Emeryville CA mid June for our daughter's wedding.

My question is, are there any hotels close to the Emeryville station?

We are planing to spend the night nearby the station and pick up our rental car the next morning.

Thanks in advance
Howard

Posts: 1 | From: Worth, IL | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a hotel across the tracks from the EMY station; Woodfin Suites. It's an easy walk over the passenger ovepass. It is a little pricey about $170 plus taxes. There are a couple of other properties nearby including the Sheraton Four Points at about $120 plus taxes. The Sheraton is less than 5 minutes by cab.
Enjoy the CZ it's the ride of this or any lifetime. BUT don't plan on arriving EMY in daylight.
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the CZ last May from Chicago to Emeryville - an excellent trip. The scenery was great and the crew was fantastic, as well. I stayed overnight at the Four Points Sheraton and then connected to the Coast Starlight the next day. The Four Points is a bit further away, but still easily within walking distance provided you aren't too overburdened with luggage. It's right over the overpass, through the Woodfin parking lot and basically right across the street. Also, free high-speed Internet! (That was greatly pleasing to me and my laptop.) I would certainly recommend it.

Though I didn't stay in the area too long, it seems like a nice neighborhood. There's a really nice strip mall and some cool eateries just a couple blocks away. Also, I wouldn't necessarily count on arriving in darkness, especially in the middle of summer. When I took it last May, we were about 2 hours late and arrived with still a couple hours, easily, of daylight left for wandering around the area.

Enjoy your trip!

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page