RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight delays

Author Topic: Coast Starlight delays
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking the Coast Starlight from LAX to SEA next month. I have been checking the on-time performance of train 14 every day, and am a bit discouraged by the huge delays that seem to frequently occur. For example, the train is predicted to arrive in SEA today (4/13)over 5 hours late. Where are the bottlenecks on this route occuring ? Are the delays mostly due to freight traffic, or are track maintainence and equipment problems a major factor ?
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be on the CS April 30-May 1 {LAX -Portland}
I'm curious about the on-time, too.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were over 10 hours late on the 14 just last week, and 5 hours late on the 11. It started with a 3.5 hour late departure and then constant delays after that.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe there are still some delays with slow orders around the areas that were repaired in southern California. But even in the best of times, freight delays are common between San Luis Obisbo and Salinas. Getting out of LA on time seems to make a big difference, though.

I'm going on it next month, so I hope we don't have to wait in Salinas too long.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there must be issues with crew rest in LAX. If the train is very late coming in the crew needs their legal rest before they can depart. I know that's how it works with the airlines and assume something similar is in the contracts with Amtrak.

Frank in blustery SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NothinCouldBeFiner...
Member # 3832

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for NothinCouldBeFiner...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just speaking with an agent over the phone and she said the Coast Starlight #11 is 30 minutes late now and came in an hour late yesterday. I can handle that! Now I can only hope that this would be the case when we depart out of SEA toward SJC come August. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I think there must be issues with crew rest in LAX. If the train is very late coming in the crew needs their legal rest before they can depart. I know that's how it works with the airlines and assume something similar is in the contracts with Amtrak.

Frank in blustery SBA

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hearing about this makes me glad I changed my itinerary to head south from Seattle instead of catching this train in Emeryville on the way north! At least if it's late leaving SEA, it will be daytime and maybe we can find something to do near the train station. Anyone know what kind of neighborhood the Seattle train station is in?
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NothinCouldBeFiner...
Member # 3832

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for NothinCouldBeFiner...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was asking about hotels in the area of the train station I was told it's not the "best neighborhood". But, not too many blocks over is downtown and Pike Place Market and the waterfront.

quote:
Originally posted by mary_228:
Hearing about this makes me glad I changed my itinerary to head south from Seattle instead of catching this train in Emeryville on the way north! At least if it's late leaving SEA, it will be daytime and maybe we can find something to do near the train station. Anyone know what kind of neighborhood the Seattle train station is in?

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would have no problem in this area during the daytime. The usual number of street people but nothing too alarming. I'd use a cab or caution after dark. Downtown Seattle, like so many large cities, pretty much shuts down at night.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page