RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight

Author Topic: Coast Starlight
aircrest
Member # 1309

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aircrest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the Coast Starlight arriving as much as 3 or 4 hours late or more what have they been doing with the connecting Sunset Limited passengers. Do they hold the Sunset Limited until the CoastStarlight arrives?
Posts: 4 | From: Port Angeles, Wa. | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak rarely holds the train. Almost always they will take passengers on the dreaded bus from various places north of L.A. Last month when I boarded the s/b Starlight in Emeryville, it was announced in the station that Sunset passengers should take a train to Bakersfield and then a bus from there to L.A. Also, at San Luis Obispo they had a bus take Sunset passengers to L.A. for the connection. Amtrak also does this for passengers from the Sunset or Chief connecting to the Starlight. You are bussed from Ontario, Palm Springs, San Bernardino to various points such as Santa Barbara, or even further north. The moral of this, is never attempt to connect the same day to or from the Starlight, always stay overnight in L.A. and connect the next day.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually hear about trains being held in Chicago for those Trans-con trains, but rarely elsewhere. When 60 people are transferring off the LSL to the CZ, then obviously, the CZ has to be held! I'd do what royaltrain suggested, that way you won't have to have the nagging feeling of making your connection in the back of your mind when you're on the Starlate. That way, you can sit back, enjoy the ride, and relax.

Food for thought- Posted on trainorders
Starlight on-time for December- 28.4%

I believe to qualify as "late" the train was more than half an hour behind schedule at the end-points.

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aircrest
Member # 1309

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for aircrest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input. A day early is not an option. I am stretching the vacation as is. Amtrak does say we will get you to the Sunset Ltd, whatever it takes that is all that is important.

Thanks again

Posts: 4 | From: Port Angeles, Wa. | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page