RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Capitol Ltd. / Pennsylvanian

Author Topic: Capitol Ltd. / Pennsylvanian
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next week is my round trip from Pittsburgh to Washington, D.C. I am taking the Capitol Ltd. eastbound, returning through Philadelphia on the Pennsylvanian. The new schedules for both show the other train, encouraging transfers in Pittsburgh. The Capitol Ltd. is back to almost the same schedule of 2002. It will be interesting to see how the connections work in Pittsburgh and the 3 and 4 hour waiting in the station, assuming everything is on time.
Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting how they present the 'Pennsylvanian' and 'Capitol Limited' given that this is such a horrible connection.....I mean a three hour layover starting at 4-something am?

I would liked to have seen the eastbound 'Capitol' and the southbound 'Silver Meteor' both carded about two hours and forty-five minutes later than in the current timetable......of course that would have meant a 'Pennsylvanian' leaving Pittsburgh a couple of hours later to preserve the connection from the 'Capitol'........

Of course I suppose I should just be happy that someone can still arrive in Pittsburgh by rail at all, huh?

You know, given the present climate, I'm a little surprised that Amtrak didn't take steps to significantly decrease the size of the new National Timetable booklet.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have returned from my Pittsburgh to Washington, D.C. trip via the Capitol Ltd. returning via Regional Service and the Pennsylvanian.

Last Monday morning, the Capitol Ltd. was 90 minutes late according to the Amtrak web site, but at the PGH station, the agent said it would be "15 or 20 minutes late due to freight traffic from Chicago." The 4:05 am arrival time came and passed and at 5:45 am the Capitol appeared. Passengers said that it left Chicago 90 minutes late. About 50 people exited the train, some to wait in the station to board the Pennsylvanian to New York departing at 7:05 am. There were only 15 of us boarding the Capitol, which had 3 sleepers and 3 coaches. The 90 minute lateness grew a little into D.C.

I left D.C. on Regional 172 with a very light passenger load, and waited for the Pennsylvanian in Philadelphia's Acela Lounge with my Business Class ticket and Amtrak Rewards Card.

The Pennsylvanian departed PHI on time, then lost 90 minutes at Harrisburg waiting for freight traffic and track work on the NS west of Harrisburg.

I enjoyed the trip, but was saddened by the depressing attitude of the staff. Everyone was pleasant, but was depressed about the proposals for Amtrak. The Car Attendants seemed to be running back and forth handling door openings, and announcements were far and few between. Maybe they will have better news in the future. The perky staff that formerly worked on the Three Rivers seem to be gone.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page