RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Radio Lingo

Author Topic: Radio Lingo
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone out there have a glossary of the lingo I may hear on my scanner?
It has been a couple of years since our last trip... I remember "learning" the names of different types of passes... however, since have forgotten.. for instance, the "name" of a pass where one train moves to an auxillary track and allows another train to overtake them... the other where two trains are approaching each other... any other tid-bits and tips on scanners.
Thanks! And we hope to see some of you on the Zephyr or Empire Builder in July!

Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may not have the radio terms you're looking for, but hopefully it will help you out a bit:
http://users.adelphia.net/~edportzline/glossary.htm
Have fun!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you really want to get the scoop on RR radio, you want to get this book:

"Railroad Radio"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0965159906/ref%3Dnosim/trainweb/102-6919177-3208150

I got it before my last trip and it is extremely useful.

A.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page