RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Reserving coach seats on a 30-day NARPass

Author Topic: Reserving coach seats on a 30-day NARPass
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be starting my 30 day transcontinental rail trip from Toronto and back in early April, stopping at 14 cities some of which are Chicago, Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio, St. Louis, Kansas City, Flagstaff and Los Angeles-from one to three nights at each. The rail portion will be interrupted with a 2-day car rental from San Luis Obispo to San Francisco, along Hwy #1.
How long in advance of this trip would you advise reserving the "reserved coach seat" for each leg of my trip. I want to, of course, avoid standing for any portion, but I want to have flexibility-shorten a stay or lengthen one, given the circumstances.
In other words, given that my travel is off-peak, is a concern about a reserved seat being available ill-founded?
I'm retired and I want to avoid being in a carved in stone schedule.

Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't worry about getting a seat on a reserved trans-con train. You could probably change even on the day of departure. I would still try to change as far in advance as you can. Only warning- if you are travelling during a holiday weekend, that's the biggest sell-out time for these trains. That even includes a holiday such as Easter.. So just plan ahead for those days.
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page