RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First time traveling on Amtrak with the wife & kids!! The adventure begins.

Author Topic: First time traveling on Amtrak with the wife & kids!! The adventure begins.
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hehcooh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, [Roll Eyes] It's 12:55 AM on Saturday and I'm sitting here at the computer trying to determine [Confused] when we should leave the comforts of home to go to the station. The five of us are all packed and everyone is in bed except me. The 49 is already over 1 1/2 hours late as of Rochester, NY. The estimated arrival time into Cleveland is 4:15 am (1:03 late). So much for a smooth beginning. No sleep at home tonight. Will try to get some sleep onboard.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

--------------------
"Kansas City Southern. Ooh, that's a lonesome sound." Pure Prairie League

Posts: 27 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully you will get some sleep onboard the train.

Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best of luck.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to tell us how it went when the trip is done!

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hehcooh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we finally made it to CO and back.

49 was 1:45 late into Cleveland on the 14th. It gave the wife and kids an extra hour of sleep. I, on the other hand, did not sleep until somewhere the following evening in Missouri on the SWC. Coach on the 49 was acceptable except for the fact that it was difficult to get paired seats for the wife and 3 kids and close enough for me to observe them. They all slept some before the masses began moving around. Even though the seats were plenty wide and reclined and had footrests and leg supports I never could get into a comfortable position for my long legs. Best memory of 49 was crossing Sandusky Bay in the early daylight. It took about 7 hours to get to Chicago and that was about all that I could take traveling coach. Being able to enjoy the Metropolitan Lounge amenities in CHI helped to pass the time.

The SWC left on time from CHI. We had a wonderful time viewing the country in Illinois from the observation car and dining while crossing the Mississippi [Cool] . The Superliner Family sleeping compartment on the SWC between CHI and LAJ was excellent. A little tight for five but we did just fine. It was a blessing having three bathrooms and a shower available in the lower part of the car just a few feet from our compartment. A small double bed for my wife and myself, our son bunked above us and our daughters in upper and lower side beds. Kids slept fine. My wife did not due to what she says were many bumps and jolts through the night and having to sleep near the edge of the bed. I slept about 5 hours between her and the wall. I think I was able to sleep due to exhaustion. I woke up bout 4:00 AM local time just as we were leaving Hutchinson, KS. I enjoyed watching the sun come up over Western KS with open prairie on the right side and the lush Arkansas River valley on the left. We saw cattle, calves, horses and foals, white tail deer and antelope while eating large breakfasts in the dining car. Our sleeper car attendant, Anna Marie, was superb, gracious, caring and made our daughters feel like princesses, even giving one of them a pillow to take home.

I took along a GPS receiver and connected it to a laptop computer to track our location. Surprisingly, there was only one 120 VAC outlet in the observation car near the center of the car. Several people came up to me to observe and ask about our location and speed (several times approaching 80 mph). The observation car was the best location for using the GPS. Because of the widows in the ceiling and the large side windows the GPS was able to receive satellite signals with little difficulty. Satellite reception from the sleeper compartment and coach windows was not as good as the from the observation car but was still adequate most of the time to obtain a fix. Assuming that Congress can ever adequately fund Amtrak one addition to their trains that might prove useful to passengers would be a GPS locator on each train with a display of position and estimated arrivals to all stops along a route. It's done on some airlines.

Our return from CO began on the 25th with a scheduled departure from LaJunta at 8:23 PM. Unfortunately, #4 began to lose time almost from it's Los Angeles departure the previous day. One contributing factor was a severe thunderstorm with hail in NM. By the time it arrived in LAJ it was over 1.5 hours late. The sleeper car attendant, Bruce, had made our beds before the train's arrival in LAJ so we were all in bed shortly after boarding. This time my wife slept between the wall and myself and I was the one that had difficulty sleeping on the "double bed". I ended up be able to fall asleep by placing my head near her feet and vice-versa. We laughed about it but being able to get some sleep was worth it. I'd say we were all asleep before we went through Dodge City, KS. We all woke up before Lawrence KS and enjoyed breakfast before arrival in Kansas City, MS. We timed our lunch to be eaten while we passed through Fort Madison, IA and crossed the Mississippi. At various times on Thursday everyone enjoyed a shower. #4 never did make up time and was over 2 hours late arriving in CHI. Some passengers that we visited with that were traveling on #30 were sweating #4's late arrival but made the transition in CHI to 30 due to it being held for the late arrivals. Although #30 also traveled through CLE, this was exactly why I scheduled our return to CLE on #48 instead. A scheduled 4-hour layover instead of approximately 2 hours gave us enough cushion for a late arrival into CHI on the SWC.

Once again in CHI we enjoyed carry-on storage, drinks and snacks in the Metro Lounge in CHI as well as early boarding privileges because we had children. When we made our reservations, and even though we were entitled to sleeper compartment accommodations between CHI and CLE, I had the reservation agent put us into reserved coach because this stage was scheduled for only approximately 7 hours. I didn't want to tie up a room that someone else traveling further could use instead.

Our departure on #48 was on time (7:55 PM) and the sun was setting as we left CHI. Our arrival into CLE (4:02 AM) was on time as well. The kids slept. I did not due to the same reasons as stated earlier. All but one of our checked bags made it to Cleveland before we did on #30. Except for the drunk [Mad] sitting in front of us who constantly complained to his Erie, PA bound traveling companions about not being allowed off at each stop to smoke a cigarette this final leg passed without a hitch.

There was one incident that I must share. During the excitement of deboarding in La Junta, CO Sunday morning and while trying to get all of our carry-ons off, meet our family and even showing my father the sleeper compartment I accidentally left my laptop computer case that contained not only the computer but several software programs, various communication cables and AA rechargeable batteries and recharger. It wasn't until we got to our destination in CO did we realize that it was missing. The only thing that I can think that happened is that I put it down near the lower carry-on storage while helping to get bags off and forgot to pick it up. I called the station in LAJ to report it. Nothing had been turned in there. The agent indicated all they could do was pass the word down the line of the situation. It wasn't until Monday afternoon did we receive word that the laptop case was found. It was turned in as missing in LA. An employee searching through the case found the phone number of the coworker who took us up to the station in CLE, called him who then called me in CO. Amtrak overnighted the case (at my cost) to my sister in Colorado Springs where we picked it up. The fellows in LA that I talked to (I forgot their names) were very helpful.

Would we travel to CO by train again? Probably, but with some slight changes. Since we have to board and disembark in CLE in the middle of the night I think I'd rather drive the six to seven hours to CHI and board there (assuming we could find an inexpensive and safe location to park a vehicle). We could then stay overnight in CHI on our return and have a leisurely drive back to OH the next day. A sleeper compartment with the availability of a shower definitely made the trip more enjoyable.

One additional note. As we were walking past the end car on #48 I was able to see inside and noticed several computer terminals. I later asked the conductor who informed me that that particular car had been in Michigan evaluating track geometry for high speed (100 mph) service. I did not ask and he did not volunteer the MI location.

--------------------

Posts: 27 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your trip sounds like it was rather enjoyable for the most part, I am currently trying to find a GPS reciever myself and I am glad I learned they work more efficently inside of the Sightseer/Observation car.

Hope you travel Amtrak again!

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
Yes, for the most part the trip was enjoyable and definitely less stressful than driving.

Non Amtrak related comment.

I bought a Garmin Etrex legend model with appropriate mapping software a few weeks before our trip. I recommend one that detailed maps can be downloaded to it. We were able to know when road, river and rail crossings would occur before they happened. I also programmed in all the train stops as waypoints, turned on the navigation feature and was able to know how far (straight line) the next stop was. It helped to pass the time. Also get one that can be handheld with a display, not the type that requires a laptop to display data and position.

--------------------

CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So one like this: http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/

Could be plugged into a PDA or Laptop?

mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehcooh: We're taking our two young children(7 and 9) on overnight train trips later this month (Coast Starlight and Calif Zephyr). Would you share with me the ages of your children and how they spent the time?

We'll have the family bedroom you described on one leg and two standard bedrooms on the upper level on another leg. Did they enjoy the food? The movies? Were you comfortable letting them roam around the train? Was it far from your sleeper to the lounge or observation cars, etc?

Thanks!

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took my two kids on many continent-wide Amtrak trips and 8 trips from Miami to Montreal and they behaved well and thoroughly enjoyed the trips. What's the big deal!!??
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also took my 2 kids from NY to Toronto on the Maple Leaf at least 11 times---kids loved it--loved the scenery along the Hudson River and along the Erie Canal and then Niagara Falls and then southern Ontario.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's really no way to accurately predict how a particular kid will enjoy a lengthy train trip -- especially if it's his or her first. Every child is different.

Some kids (particularly those whose daily lives are hyperactively "scheduled," from morning until night, with little unstructured downtime) will be bouncing off the walls not long after the train leaves the station (the famous "are we there yet?" and "I'm bored" syndromes).

Other kids will spend the entire trip with their nose glued to the window (my mother once told me that I used to stay up all night, hypnotized by the distant lights of farms and small towns beyond the tracks).

The best bet for anyone who's traveling with children? Bring your kids' favorite books and a few small, noiseless games to keep them occupied (electronic toys that beep and play songs will drive other passengers crazy). Don't load up the kids' systems with sugary snacks and soft drinks (which usually contain caffeine) either before boarding or while on the train. Remind them that trains are fun, but they're not a playground; don't let them wander by themselves any further than the end of the car (unaccompanied kids can get hurt crossing between cars).

And try to get them interested in the world outside the train window. In fact, before you go, print out the Route Guide you'll find here:

www.trainweb.com/cgi-bin/top/tw_do.cgi?routes/indexf.html

There are fascinating things to see out there, for all of you. And you may never pass that way again.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Garmin GPS now only if I could invent a software like Airshow(the GPS maps you see on the plane). I would make the maps like they do on the planes. The info would show Ground Speed,Distance to Destination,Time since departure,Time to Destination,Local time at Destination. There would be a little train going along the route showing cities and then it would show different cities in all directions with the miles from the relative location of the train. The map could also be displayed in different languages.

Another feature would be to add a Locomotive Cam showing the view the Engineer gets. Then Amtrak could display it on the screens. I might add trivia to the software too. The name of the software could be TrainTrak and it would offer a subscription service for anyone that wants to track a train online in the US and Canada using the route info. You can track flights in the air so why can't you track trains online? Better than Julie who sometimes said the train is delayed and they are waiting for an update. Here you know where the train is at.

The map would also display the message"Now Arriving XXX" So you know when to detrain. Also the map would show a list with the different cities on the route with the mileage from the current point the train is at with estimated arrival times,and local times at various destinations. If the train is passing through a National Monument the GPS system would automatically load photos or a short feature film on the destination.

I know this is fantasy but it would be an awsome invention. Airshow is for plane geeks Traintrak is for train buffs. I bet Steve Grande would watch this map all day long. And the map could even be set to display the railroad frequencies. Or if Amtrak decides to ad dat seat audio a channel 9 like on United Airlines to hear the railroad radio.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and the software would show outside temperature and the Engineer could even request a 5 day weather forcast to display before arrival at major train depots. Also they could show maps of large stations on the screen so pasengers know how to collect their bags.
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goduckies
Member # 3885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goduckies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they have that on the talgo's it is pretty cool.
Brad

Posts: 15 | From: Eugene, Or | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by goduckies:
they have that on the talgo's it is pretty cool.
Brad

Thats what I hear, someday hopefully as long as LD routes are not cut, they will have that on all the trains.

Lets Hope.
-Anton

Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DILLY I agree with you 100% on keeping caffeine away from kids when on an Amtrak trip--it really helps to keep them calm. Also, I fed my kids a mixture of raisins and unsalted peanuts which they loved all through the trips along with all kinds of fruit like apples and oranges and pears---all loved by my kids which kept them satisfied.

Also, a key was to make sure we got down at each long stop to let the kids go up and down the steps and walk around for a few minutes on the station platforms--made a difference. They enjoyed talking to the conductors and car attendants on the platforms. When we climbed back on the train they were already tired-out and ready to sit again in their assigned seats for a few hours!

My kids loved our many train trips in the U. S. and Canada--really looked forward to them! [Razz]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page