RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Washington, D.C. to Vancouver trip

Author Topic: Washington, D.C. to Vancouver trip
manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for manypims   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've added some pictures online of my trip from Washington, D.C. to Vancouver last fall. Enjoy.

The Great American Travelogue Experiment

--------------------
Visit my real-time rail blog at
http://manypims.blogspot.com

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful photos! For those of you who haven't checked it out yet, go to the bottom and scroll up to view in the same direction the trip was. Kind of like taking the trip without leaving your keyboard.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Pics,

Where did you take the one of the Washington DC train yard from?

Jon

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great shots, Manypims!!!! I look forward to seeing your next set of photos after your upcoming trip!! The labels helped out a lot too -- and I thought I was the only railfan who actually documented where my pictures are taken from!!!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Manypims - Thanks for the beautiful photos. I went over the WAS-EMY part in the spring which was also beautiful. Now I want to do it in the fall! What a fantastic country we've got here with a wonderful way to see it. I'm sure you'll enjoy going along the southern route - let us know.
John
I've also been researching a trip to the northwest. Maybe the Starlight to Seattle, ferry to Victoria, train out to Nanaimo, ferry to Vancouver and back home. Did you take the Cascades to Vancouver or the bus? How was that?

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capltd29:
Great Pics,

Where did you take the one of the Washington DC train yard from?

Jon

Looks like it was taken from one of the upper levels of the parking garage behind Union Station....escalators or elevator can take you all the way up.....I used to train watch from here when I was in school nearby at the University of Maryland.

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year I rode the Starlight to Portland,then a Cascades to Seattle, a bus to Vancouver, the bus-ferry to Victoria and the fast ferry(can't think of the name)back to Seattle. Great trip and incredible scenery.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for manypims   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Capltd29 -- Notelvis is correct, the pictures of the train yard were taken from the top level of the parking deck at Union Station.

RRRich -- I was able to label all my photos thanks to Microsoft Streets & Trips, which comes with a small GPS unit that allows you to track your exact location on the map. I highly recommend it for train travel (even though I'm a Amtrak rookie for the most part).

City of Miami -- Those shots from Seattle to Vancouver were taken from the Cascades. Upgrading from coach to business class is worth the money, in my opinion, if you use a laptop while travelling.

--------------------
Visit my real-time rail blog at
http://manypims.blogspot.com

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Pictures of your cross continental trip. Wish I had the time to do something like that. Did you get to see alot of the great Union Stations you passed through.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manypims I know the feeling! Some of my best trips
were the 7 trips I took with my wife and son from Palatka, FL to DC and then DC to CHI and then to Seattle and Vancouver, BC. Vancouver, BC is always nice---rode the ferries and the elevated trains--always great! A great Chinatown with wonderful Chinese buffet restaurants, nice people.

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks for your GREAT photos! It brings back many trips to me!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page