RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Rumors

Author Topic: Amtrak Rumors
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forwarded from (several) rail-oriented e-mail distribution lists on Yahoogroups:

This RUMOR comes from multiple sources and has appeared several times over the past few weeks, but again, it's just a rumor!

Anyone know anything else???

>>>Something is afoot, and
rumors are running rampant, both inside and outside of Amtrak.<<<

>>>1) The big rumor, that won't die, doesn't change, and won't go away is
that tomorrow, Thursday, January 31, 2002, is George Warrington's last
day at the helm of Amtrak.<<<

>>>This consistent rumor says that on the next day, this Friday, February
1st, the day before Groundhog Day, Amtrak will make a major announcement
to the press and public concerning the departure of Mr. Warrington and,
some are adding, Draconian reductions in Amtrak service due to a budget
crisis.<<<

>>>The question is, how much of this rumor is self-feeding, and people are
just telling each other again what they told each other over the morning
coffee break?<<<

>>>One Amtrak inside source noted that many of the Amtrak senior managers
have been called to Washington for an unknown reason.<<<

>>>One highly placed and knowledgeable Capitol Hill source puts the veracity
of the rumor at better than 50-50.<<<

>>>One high, high source from another railroad says the rumor is a stone
cold fact.<<<

>>>Union sources verify they, too, have heard the information and verify
that it is consistently the same message, not the usual wild variations.<<<

>>>Another 36 hours will tell the story. <<<

[This message has been edited by DC2001 (edited 01-30-2002).]

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumors, regardless of their validity, spread with lightning speed on the internet. Time will tell, but I'm skeptical.

Consider what you wrote:
One Amtrak inside source noted....

One highly placed and knowledgeable Capitol Hill source....

One high, high source from another railroad....

Union sources verify....

Not one person is identified by name or title.

Then the rumor says there will be: Draconian reductions in Amtrak service due to a budget crisis.

If drastic cuts are imminent, why is Amtrak pursuing new routes around the country? Just take a look at railnews.net and there are several stories about planned expansions. That doesn't sound like the actions of a company that is planning cutbacks. (OK there was Enron, but that was an exceptional case.)

But I read somewhere that somebody read a story about someone who overheard an Amtrak employee in the washroom who said he heard from his boss that something was definitely happening, maybe.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 01-30-2002).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,

>>Rumors, regardless of their validity, spread with lightning speed on the internet. Time will tell, but I'm skeptical.<<

I agree completely, which is why I added the notice at the top of the message that this is nothing but a rumor (and if I had a dollar for every Amtrak rumor on the web, I could pay off Amtrak's debt!). For the remainder (>><<), I simply forwarded the quotation verbatim as I found it from the indicated source; it's not my writing. The complete post, from the original author, can be found at YahooGroups.

Absolutely, take the whole thing with a grain of salt, but it is a possibility (and I consider the service cuts less likely than a management shakeup, just my opinion). Regardless, if this story contains even a grain of truth, we'll know Friday.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all honesty folks, WHO ( in their right mind ) would purposely TAKE the Amtrak President and CEO job.

It HAS to be the toughest in ALL of railroading , yet the "thankless." One would almost have to be a "glutton for punishment."

IF a replacement IS sought , who are some qualified candidates ??

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy: I read somewhere that somebody read a story about someone who overheard an Amtrak employee in the washroom who said he heard from his boss that something was definitely happening, maybe.

[/B]

I read the same story....it must be true!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like there was something to those rumors after all, someone got the date right, just not the details.

Amtrak announced they would lay off 700 employees. There would also be some cutbacks in maintenence. According to an AP reportThey might also consider cutbacks in long-distance trains in the near future, unless some more funding comes in from Congress.

However, GW is still there.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're still waiting on GW.. the rumors have been that he's stepping down today. (2/1) I guess we'll see!
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the latest from Amtrak's site:
http://amtrak.com/press/atk20020201020.html

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop using time here. Write to officials instead.

------------------
In memory of F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I am going to be sick...

I knew something was coming Friday, and I thought I might know what it would be, but this surprise is far, far worse than I could ever have imagined.

Yes, Amtrak207 you are absolutely right, and I'll be composing my initial "round" of letters this afternoon. I STRONGLY encourage everyone here to do the same.

Amtrak's long-distance trains have been threatened so many times in the past - but never by Amtrak itself. And, I don't see Amtrak's apparent strategy of "holding the LD trains hostage" going over very well in Congress, who will make the final decision. Indeed, this move could easily backfire, and with several Amtrak critics previously calling for an end to LD trains, I don't feel very good about the prospects right now.

TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly , but true , oftentimes something is REALLY not missed until it is gone.

Think of how many passengers are serviced by just the EAST-WEST long-distance routes----literally THOUSANDS !

In my opinion, few TRULY believe that any of the remaining long-distance trains will be completely eliminated. Many passengers have no knowledge of the Pioneer's demise or the Desert Wind's demise. Us rail advocates KNOW that long-distance lines have ALREADY been "dumped" and that the same "fate" can befall other lines.

I am afraid that until Amtrak ACTUALLY "dumps" the major East-West lines , there will be little or no reaction from the passengers all those trains have serviced----OR from the legislators of the effected states. I think that is just "human nature."

Congress has by no means been "flooded" with angry letters or calls of protest related to the possible "demise" of long-distance service-----and (in my opinion) will NOT be until the event ACTUALLY happens. Then , and only then , will the "average" passenger respond. Rail advocates like US have been and will continue to. But certainly no "gras-root" effort will be made to save long-distance rail until AFTER the cuts are announced and after the trains stop running. This is my personal opinion, understand.

I am also a bit bewildered WHY some believe that Congress is somehow being held "hostage" by Amtrak management with its "threats" to shut-down long-distance service. I do not think this is the case at all. If the money is not there, the money is not there. Where does Congress think Amtrak is going to GET the money it needs to operate ? Cut-backs have to be made somewhere, right ? I think it is perfectly LOGICAL for Amtrak management to "hint" at what possible cut-backs might have to occur. What is so "threatening" about that ? In fact, Amtrak management should have been "hinting" at this for MONTHS , now !! In fact, why not "hint" that the ENTIRE SYSTEM is going to shut-down unless some substantial and immediate federal funding avails itself----that means EVERY TRAIN !! Then see how fast Congress responds !! I know these are "strong" words, but I am serious. Amtrak has been running on a deficit for YEARS now. Enough is enough. Congress has an important decision to make:fund passenger-rail on an EQUAL basis related to cars and planes or shut the whole system down COMPLETELY and FORCE everyone to either drive, fly or WALK !!!

I'll get off my "band-wagon" now.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has been limping along for a long time. If they stop their long-distance service, at least this might shake things up a little and something will be done about it.

Amtrak doesn't need more status quo, they need something big done to finally remedy the problems that have existed since they began.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting, and relevant. It is from the GAO report of 1/24/02 at http://www.oig.dot.gov/item_details.php?item=672

"In the past year, Amtrak sought to compensate for cash shortfalls through a variety of means, including mortgaging portions of one of its most valuable assets, Penn Station-New York for approximately $300 million. It would be possible for Amtrak to pursue additional transactions of this nature in the coming year and meet the letter of the self-sufficiency law. Amtrak could also take other draconian measures such as widespread employee or service cuts. Both strategies are questionable. Not only would Amtrak’s victory be hollow in the short-term, but the sacrifices made to achieve the immediate goal would compromise the physical and financial integrity of any future passenger rail company, be it Amtrak or another entity or entities."

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

fubu05
Member # 465

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for fubu05   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scenarios if the Coast Starlight is pulled:

Extend #765 and #794 through to SLO, operate one Capitol through to SLO to connect cross-platform.

Extend a fifth Surfliner from LAX to SBA to replace the Starlight Segment LAX-SBA.

If Southwest Chief is pulled:

Replace it with three Surfliner extensions LAX-KNG-FLG and two Surfliners to LVS:

If the Sunset and Texas Eagle are dropped they should be replaced by two locals from LAX to Tucson, Arizona, Benson, and Wilcox, Arizona.

If the Zephyr is pulled, replace it with local Chicago-Omaha and Lovelock-San Jose trains.

Finally, if the Starlight above Sac is gone, replace the SAC-RDD leg with the extension of 702 and 703 through to/from Redding.

If the Builder is Lifted west of MSP, replace the SPK-SEA segment with the extension of one or two of the Cascade Talgos.

Likewise, train #552 and (not there now, but #553) should run Eugene-Spokane.

We shall see, if this is why Caltrans is expanding the San Joaquin trains to where they will be in March.

Peter in Riverside

------------------
Peter Van Warnerski

Posts: 60 | From: Tampa, Florida | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page