RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Boston Trip Question

Author Topic: Boston Trip Question
BearCreekHoneyFarm
Member # 3909

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BearCreekHoneyFarm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
We are planning a trip on the Lakeshore Limited catching it from Toledo to Albany and then to Boston.

We will be going to a Red Sox/ Tigers game, and my question is: At what station should we schedule arrival, Back Bay or the Boston Downtown station?

Would also like to know of any recomendations of a medium priced hotel to stay at for a few days that would be central to Fenway and other attractions. We are planning on staying a couple of days to catch the game and do a little sight seeing and would appreciate any input from the masses.
Thanks, Bill

Posts: 5 | From: Ithaca | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compared to most cities with more than one train station (which are often miles apart), Boston is unusual, since South Station and Back Bay Station aren't very far from each other. Still, you might want to book the hotel first, and then choose the station that's closest.

I haven't passed Fenway in quite a while, but I suspect the Howard Johnson's Fenway is still in business. However, don't feel you have to find a room within sight of home plate. Boston is a very compact city -- very walkable, with a great public transportation system. It's easy to get around (unless you're crazy enough to drive).

A word of caution: You'd be wise to book your room now. Hordes of out-of-towners descend on Boston for every Red Sox home game. If the game happens to coincide with other city events (trade conventions, major college functions, harbor festivals, etc.), it can be literally impossible to find a room.

Oh yeah. . . Boston hotels aren't cheap. But to get a much nicer room for your buck, try bidding at:

www.priceline.com

For helpful tips before you bid (including the latest "winning bids" for Boston rooms) check out:

www.biddingfortravel.com

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get off at Back Bay Station. Go out the east door and two blocks east on Chandler Street this is where I stay.

Boston: Chandler Inn
1-800-842-3450

To get to Fenway, go back to Back Bay cross the Expressway and take the subway to Fenway Copley Square to Kenmore. I did that when I saw a came in Fenway and it work well.

Don't forget about the Downeaster Service to Portland. Makes a nice day trip and North station is a short subway ride from Back Bay.

My story is at
http://www.trainweb.org/chris/Trip_Acela.html
Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second ChrisG on the Chandler Inn. I've stayed there several times since it opened in the mid-1980s. Rooms are small but clean and well-kept, and the price is right. It's also, as noted, close to Back Bay. There are lots of restaurants in the area, also shopping.
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another great hotel option is the Hotel Buckminster, literally right around the corner from the stadium. The green line stop is right outside your door. This was once a really fancy place, but the years have faded its glory. However, it is very clean the rooms are spacious and it's about the best bargain you'll find in the city. Includes a full hot breakfast every morning.
Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page