RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight trip

Author Topic: Coast Starlight trip
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made my first trip on the Coast Starlight (LAX to SEA) last month. It was great ! The weather was perfect. The first night I had dinner with two elderly women, and asked them how they enjoyed the magnificent views of the ocean, and the beautiful wildflowers. They said, "What ocean ?" They had a sleeping compartment on the right side of the train, and had never ventured out. I loved the Parlor Car, and especially liked the wine tastings. The run from LAX to Portland was stop and go,and plagued with speed restrictions, but from Portland on, it was like the bullet train. I was surprised to hear them comment on the PA system that BNSF actually likes Amtrak, while Union Pacific does not. We arrived in Seattle about 2 1/2 hours late, but nobody was complaining. I would love to do this trip again, but I doubt if it would have been as enjoyable in poor weather.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RussM:
I would love to do this trip again, but I doubt if it would have been as enjoyable in poor weather.

I've taken the Starlight in all sorts of weather, and I highly recommend it. The Cascades crossing is especially spectacular in a snowstorm. Rain soaked vegetation brings out the richness of colors in the landscape, too. Winter weather can be very pretty from the climate controled comfort of the Parlour Car.

Glad you had a good trip. Thanks for the report.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you had a nice trip, I persoanlly (just me) love being on trains or anywhere for that matter when its cold and rainy/snowing.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page