RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Capitol Limited Trackwork

Author Topic: Capitol Limited Trackwork
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know about trackwork being scheduled between Pittsburgh and Washington? A friend is currently on his rail trip and received a voice mail from Amtrak saying that if train # 30 is over 40 minutes late at Pittsburgh on June 8, they will be held 6 hours due to trackwork. Is this ongoing? Info appreciated.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traveled on the Capitol Ltd. on May 2, and when I made the reservations online there was a message that trackwork might be underway between Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; but it said nothing about the described delay being possible.

In reality, the Capitol Ltd. was 90 minutes late into Pittsburgh, 2 hours late into D.C. The Pittsburgh Station staff said that it was due to "freight congestion" but passengers on the train said that they departed Chicago 90 minutes late waiting for the Western Trains to arrive and connect passengers to the Capitol Ltd., since the Three Rivers is no more. (formerly provided 'clean up' for late-arriving Western trains)

A six-hour wait in the Pittsburgh Station from Midnight to 6 am wouldn't be pleasant, and the loss of connections in D.C. would create more problems.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak web site is showing that Train 30, the Capitol Ltd. eastbound from Chicago to Washington, D.C. had a "service interruption" on June 7 and 8. Train 29, the westbound train appears to have operated, but on the 7th it was over 6 hours late into Chicago.
Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last 2 days, train #30 has terminated in PGH
with bus transpotation continuing into WAS due to the late operation into Pgh and thus missing the window before MW work begins East of PGH. Part of the delay of #29 into Chicago referenced above related to thunderstorms and related signal trouble as well as heat speed restrictions imposed in the East coast.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family and I are scheduled to head west on train 29 on July 23rd. Should I be concerned?

Jon

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably not....The delays due to heat restrictions affect the EB far more than the WB.
The heat restrictions usually expire between 6-7pm Thus you probably won't lose more than an hour or so if they are in effect. The trackwork window seems to only affect the EB.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what if i happen to be going EB on 30 departing CHI on August 1st? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called a couple of days ago as DD and I will be going EB on 6/26 and WB on 7/8. I was told there should be no problem. Not quite sure if I believe it and will keep checking.
Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page