RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight delays

Author Topic: Coast Starlight delays
tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommers207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be riding the Coast Starlight to Portland for the Champ Car race this week and I've noticed that it's been running really late. Now I now that the Starlight usually does run late but we're talking 6 to 15 hours late during the last week. Anyone know what's causing all the delays?

--------------------
Remember no matter where you go, there you are - Buckaroo Bonzai

Posts: 45 | From: Fullerton, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my last trip, we were 10 hours late...Not usual, but this message has been on the Amtrak page whenever you try to make a Coast Starlight reservation:

Service Alert: Coast Starlight - Possible Train Delays

Delays may occur on this train due to freight railroad congestion, track work or other operating conditions affecting its schedule. Passengers are encouraged to plan for the possibility of a delay and contact Amtrak at www.amtrak.com or 1-800-USA-RAIL on the day of departure to check the train’s status. We apologize for any inconvenience passengers may experience due to these operating conditions.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the train southbound from Seattle to Emeryville and it left on time but was and hour or two late. People who I met in the parlour car told me that their northbound journey was 12 hours late!
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if that was the same train as mine. 14 got into seattle around 7am!
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles802
Member # 2162

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles802     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually rescheduled my June Coast Starlight trip for August because of the terrible reliability lately (checking on amtrak.com). Good move I guess, because #14 was 8 hours late the day I was supposed to have traveled. Even the LA-Bay Area sector seems to be experiencing delays...is that due to track work as well?

Been lucky in the past...never delayed longer than 2 hrs.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been keeping an eye on the Coast Starlight for the last few days and it has not been pretty.

I'm booked to depart Albuquerque tomorrow (6/29) afternoon and connect to #14 at LAX to Portland departing 6/30.

Will let you know how it went when I return home July 8!

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm putting my mother on #14 at Salinas tonight. Tha darn thing hasn't even left LA yet. I'm not hopeful she'll be aboard before 10:00pm, probably later. She's supposed to leave at 6:36, but that won't happen.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UPNorth
Member # 3944

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UPNorth         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My. Toy - your crystal ball was amazingly accurate. Coaststarlight arrived SNS at 9:59 on 6/28 and departed at 10:06 pm.

You should patent your Amtrak ETA/ETD formula.

Posts: 10 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't note the exact time she boarded, but it was pretty close to 10:00. We arrived at the station at about 9:20, so the wait wasn't too bad.

One item of note, her car was a Superliner I #32019. I asked the attendant if it was one of the refurbished ones, and he said yes. So I asked if I could see the rest rooms, and he let me, but they weren't the new style which I was hoping to see. Pooh.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page