RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Grandma needs help again.

Author Topic: Grandma needs help again.
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we're leaving Monday am from Oceanside to L.A. and then on the Coast Starlight all the way to Seattle-just my two granddaughters (8 & 11) and me (and return a week later on the train). We're looking forward to staying in the family bedroom, enjoying the parlous car and following all your advice.

I have a couple of more questions- since our meals are already paid for, how much do I tip the person who serves us our meals? And the room attendant? Is there anyone else? Also, I read here that Amtrak is notoriously late. I'm not worried arriving in Washington late but we'll be arriving in L.A. at 9 pm and catching the 10:10 to San Diego. Amtrak says we have guaranteed reservations. I don't have much faith in them that they would hold the train for a few passengers. What if the Coast Starlight is over an hour late and we miss the Pacific Surfliner?
Linda
Carlsbad

Posts: 20 | From: Carlsbad, Calif. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Linda,

I tipped a buck for breakfast, $1.50 or lunch and two dollars for dinner.

Sleeping car attendants by what they do. A bad one not one cent, a good one 10 dollars a night or more if there go beyond the service.
Palor Car attendant is detrimed by how well he/she serves me.

Connection south is either train if your within half an hour of 10:10 arriving or a bus that will get you to your final station. If you are really late like I was once it was a train the next morning.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on how you liked the service. It's like a restaurant on wheels if you like the service tip just like you would at a restaurant back home. If the service was bad then don't tip or give a little tip. Remember tipping is suggested not required. Since you are in FC tip your car attendant too as he/she works hard to make your trip comfortable. It's a hotel on wheels.
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments .......I know to tip 15-20% for a meal but that's when I know how much it costs. I don't know how much breakfast, lunch or dinner is on the train since it was all inclusive. At least on a cruise ship, they suggest $10. per day per person. Do you agree with Chrisg re. the amount I should leave? (I'm assuming that's per person).
Posts: 20 | From: Carlsbad, Calif. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda--

The prices are on the menu (for coach pax who don't have their meals included) so you should have no trouble figuring out the tip. As others have said, it really should come down to how good the service is. I've rarely had really bad service on Amtrak so have almost never left nothing. The one time I did I also spoke to the Dining Car Steward and let him know why. He agreed that the waiter was awful and said he would be written up.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tip $2 breakfast, $2 lunch, and $3 dinner if I like the service, but that is for 1 person. For you and 2 children, I would tip a little more, maybe $3 breakfast and lunch, $5 dinner. Again, only if you like the service!

For room attendant, I tip $5 a night, but for a Family Room with 2 kids I'd tip $10. Again, unless the service is bad.

I also tip redcaps, though I use them only occasionally--mainly because they can get you on the trains early (which I sometimes want to do esp when I am going coach and think a train might be busy) or because they can find trains more easily when I'm changing trains without much time. Even when I use a redcap, I give him only $1 per bag, i.e. $1-2; if I were giving him a lot more bags I suppose I'd give more money but not that much, I doubt I'd give more than $3, maybe $5 if I were traveling with lots of odd items, baby carriages or stuff like that.

I also give a tip if I check my luggage, even when it's free to check, as in the Metropolian Lounge during the layover in Chicago. I give $1-$2 for that.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Sojourner! Just what I was looking for. I didn't realize we'd receive menus with the prices on them. I do a lot of cruising on ships but this is the first time I've slept and eaten on a train and I wanted my granddaughters to have the same experience. Thanks!
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
I tip $2 breakfast, $2 lunch, and $3 dinner if I like the service, but that is for 1 person.

I've been finding that's a pretty good rule. It actually works out to about 15% for most meals, and makes it easier to plan for.

If you do want to do a percentage of your actual bill, the prices are listed on the menu.

By the way, as an aside, on this last trip they announced that anyone paying for meals with a credit card would also have to show their ticket stub. Not sure why. Of course, this only applies to coach passengers.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy--

It also applies to sleeper passengers if you are paying for drinks (wine, etc.). I have a credit card with my picture on it but was still asked for my stub even though I was in a sleeper. I didn't have it with me so paid cash to make it easier.

Frank in balmy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F59PHI2014
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F59PHI2014   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ticket stubs are required because in the event your card bounces, they have the information on your reservation number and can get hold of you later on. just passin the information on, back to work

-nick

Posts: 11 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page