RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Have you done your best to let Congress know you want full-funding for Amtrak?

Author Topic: Have you done your best to let Congress know you want full-funding for Amtrak?
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink]
Have you done your best to let Congress know that you want full funding for Amtrak? Today we had a major set-back when the congressional funding committee for Amtrak voted only a small (killing!) budget for Amtrak! If the full House now votes on the budget which it will soon, Amtrak will die unless you put more pressure on your congressman or congresswoman for them to vote only for full funding at $1.2 billion for the next budget year. This is really the telltale time for you to act!

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When do they vote? Will this be on C-SPAN?
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have contacted all of my California officals on the matter and they all agree Amtrak should be fully funded.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I called my Congressman, who sits on the appropriations committee, to ask for full funding for Amtrak.

But let's not be too pessimistic. The process is following the exact same path as it did last year, and the year before that. Remember, the same committees approved only $500 million then, too. It is pathetic that they play these stupid games year after year, but as I've said before, there aren't enough votes to kill Amtrak. Right now its just the bean counters in the apppropriations committees who are doing their annual posturing. The full house and senate represent much more diverse views.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you MR. TOY but I do hope we are both right! [Razz]
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also got favorable replies from my politicians in wisconsin.
Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats good, but does anyone have any idea when the house will be voting on this?
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Vote of full House of Representatives on the budget for Amtrak funding amendments should be coming up next week!
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love you Mr. Toy [Razz]

When I feel somewhat pessimistic like i am now and have been for the past days, you post something that makes me look up [Smile]

I think that amtrak will make it by, but still with no longterm investment, until a new congress comes in, in 07

Jon Parker

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's make sure that we get rid of the Republicans in congress in the next election---what do they care about the 25 million passengers that used Amtrak last year!!!??? Loyalty they haven't got!
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For everyones info. Responses to your official are rated. Phone calls or E mails are worth just one point. Letters or post cards are worth 9 points. Everyone send post cards to your leaders.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an FYI, I read a couple days ago that a committee tried to kill funding for NPR, only to see it restored when it came to the full House vote. Remember, the bean counters sit on approptiations committees, but they don't control House members on the whole.

Keep up the fight, never look down, and never give up.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Correct, MR. TOY! Keep up the fight with calls, post cards, letters, etc. Democrarcy really means bugging your representatives and making sure that you don't vote for the wrong man or woman! Keep track at all times, if possible, of just how your rep votes.
B.T.Rider
Member # 3975

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for B.T.Rider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pojon: Not necessary to get rid of all Republicans. Some are enlightened on this matter and should be rewarded for that.

The ones who are NOT (as are some Dems) need to be reminded that Amtrak is NOT a party loyalty issue. It is a people issue. And we the people need more trains.

A $1 per barrel surcharge on the oil to be sucked out of the Arctic Wildlife Refuge would fund Amtrak for 15 years with no additional funds.

Posts: 9 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page