RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report- Florida to Colorado #1

Author Topic: Trip Report- Florida to Colorado #1
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently completed a three train ride from West Palm Beach to Glenwood Springs.

Took train 98 to Washington, DC. My trips on Silver trains are always good and bad.

Rather than call it bad let's call it usual and good.

The usual.

The train was 30 minutes late departing. I had sleeper "b" which is dated and now has no video. One car next to me had no a/c, something I have experienced. I listened on my scanner and a call was put into Sanford for someone to check out the a/c upon arrival. I had a seven hour window so I was still comfortable with connection to Capitol Limited.

By the time we arrived in Sanford we were a couple hours down and figured to lose a bunch more on this repair attempt.

The good.

I was happily surprised to hear that repairs are "complete" in only 18 minutes. Several people stayed late to help with the repairs.

Dinner was very good as was service! Four people, two steaks, one lamb and one chicken. All cooked correctly and served in a timely manner.

Attendant Larry was very good. Made sure all had water and replenished as needed. Checked in on everyone two or three times. Took care of luggage. Got a bigger tip than normal. Nice guy!

We were running about two and a half hours late. I skipped breakfast and overloaded at Johnny Rockets in Union Station. I then walked around the Capitol area for an hour or so.

Good trip. Happy the people in the other car got a/c.

I will write about the Capitol to Chicago and CZ to Colordo in a day or so.

Ray

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look forward to seeing more baout your trip. When?
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My second leg was Washington to Chicago with an overnight stay. I would then take the CZ to Colorado the following day.

Train was a couple hours late but I had a while until Capitol Limited left at 3:55 (I think). Nice day so I walked around for a while and was back in first class lounge in plenty of time. Train status said "on time" and at boarding time changed to "delay"!

Said they needed an additional sleeper and would get it from train 30. Train 30 was very late and due at 3:30 or 4:00 ish. I knew it would be a while.

While waiting in the lounge Henry Kissinger sat across from me. Didn't have anything to say to him so just nodded and smiled? He was taking a regional to Boston with an aide. Newt Gingrich was also around.

We finally left 3 1/2 hours late and ended up 5 hours late into Chicago. Lots of work going on between the two cities. Glad I layed over for a day.

I had bedroom "E" and faced backwards. The room was newer and very clean. As others have said you never know which way you will face. Didn't bother me at all. Barely enough water to wash my hair and not enough for a full shower. Not sure why. Never got an answer. Attendant Daryl was a nice guy but being overweight he wasn't into helping with the bags on or off. Daryl got a smaller tip than my previous attendant.

Rather than fight the onslaught into the dining car I grabbed some food in the cafe car and retired.

Good news about the late departure was we all got to see things along the route that normally pass by at night. Lake Erie, Cleveland and the farms of Indiana. Not exciting to most people but I liked the views.

I was well rested at breakfast ( having not battled the late crowds last night) and had the french toast. Really good stuff! My dining mates said they didn't have dinner till very late and looked very tired.

Arrived in Chicago after 1pm. I hung back and let others who were trying to make connections go first.

Since I no longer had to figure out what to do till my room was ready had we arrived on time I just went to the hotel. Room was ready. Found a good place for pizza dinner and went to bed awaiting tomorrows joureny on the CZ.

Ray

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page