RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Canada's Greatest Ride"

Author Topic: "Canada's Greatest Ride"
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CTV Travel Network in Canada is currently running a non-stop, 24 hour a day program, 'Canada's Greatest Ride', which showcases a VIA journey across Canada from the west to east coast, June 26 to Canada Day, July 1.
The series started with VIA's long distance train #2 departure from Vancouver, and will cover over 6000 km through to Toronto and Montreal and finally ending in Halifax.
A high definition camera is mounted on the top of the locomotive which allows viewers to experience the terrain as seen by the engineer.
I've seen tv programs which show vaious shorelines with the sound of the waves lapping on a shoreline, kind of like a non-threatening tranqilizer. If you want to be a couch potato rail fan, you have an opportunity to watch the entire mountain scenery, track and operator sounds from Vancouver to Jasper, and beyond.
The series includes detailed tours of all parts of the passenger sevices on the train and interviews with both staff and passengers.
More information can be had about this partnering of CTV and VIA at www.ctvtravel.ca

Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan--- I received word of this by way of VIA's email alerts. It certainly sounds great; however, I can't find any listing for it here in the states. I was hoping the cable "Travel Channel" might carry it, but I couldn't find it there-- but their website is rather poor. If anyone comes across what US cable station this might be showing on, please post.
Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice written report on this trip can be found in the Toronto Globe and Mail (www.globeandmail.com). Click on TRAVEL. The writer David Newland filed ten reports taking the Canadian Toronto-Vancouver and return, a Corridor train to Montreal, and the Ocean to Halifax. He is part of the Canadian Travel Channel team, so his report should be similar to the TV show.
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately the only way to view this programme is to subscribe to an obscure digital channel owned by the CTV network called "Travel." Here in Toronto, if you pay for it, you can pick it up on Rogers Cable channel 267. However, I'm given to believe that an edited version will be shown on the main network at a later time. I don't think it is possible to pick up CTV in the U.S. except perhaps in some border cities such as Buffalo or Seattle.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page