TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Toronto/Chicago

Author Topic: Toronto/Chicago
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that the International is no longer available, I wonder if there is another way to make the Sarnia/Port Huron connection to make an easy trip from Toronto to Chicago? Is that feasible? The other way, via Lakeshore Ltd, involves a 12 hr layover to midnight in Buffalo if the train is on time! I'm thinking of taking the Maple Leaf from NYP to TWO for an overnight, then somehow transferring to Minneapolis for a couple of days, then #27 to Portland and #11 home to San Francisco. All of this including Michigan is new mileage for me (except for CA).
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UPNorth
Member # 3944

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UPNorth         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may find it easier to take Amtrak to Detroit, then find local transportation to Windsor, ON. VIA has 4 trains a day from Windsor to Toronto. I think there are 4 Amtrak trains a day from Chicago to Detroit.
Posts: 10 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UPNorth
Member # 3944

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UPNorth         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke a little too soon.

There are 3 Amtrak Wolverine Trains a day from Chicago to Detroit.

CHI DET
07:50 15:21
13:15 20:44
18:00 01:25 +1

There are several companies that provide ground transporation (van or sedan service) between Detroit Airports and Windsor. I bet they would be more than happy to take you from teh train station to the windsor train station.

Windsor to Toronto
06:00 10:15
09:55 13:46
14:00 17:49
17:30 21:26

It looks like you could take the first train out of Chicago and make a same day connection from Detroit to Windsor and be in Toronto by 21:26

Posts: 10 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I have never been there, I am told Port Huron is a pleasant vacation town to stay in overnight in summer. Ditto, I imagine, Sarnia. And taxis between the two are not a major problem, as long as you have all your paperwork. I would phone up a Chamber of Commerce or hotel or motel up there and find out what they recommend.

To me, this alternative seems more fun than Detroit-Windsor. However, I am not sure if the VIARAIL trains to/from Sarnia run as conveniently or speedily as those to/from Windsor, but you can check their website.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possible two days a week to make a connection at Buffalo and Niagara Falls Ont. Train 48 arrives in Buffalo at 7:05 am and Via train 92 departs Niagara Falls Ont. on Saturdays and Sundays only at 2:15 pm. This 2:15 pm train just started a few months ago and for the first time in several years it will be possible to make this connection. It is about a $60 taxi ride and takes about 45 minutes between the two stations. If you do miss the train there is hourly bus service from Niagara Falls to Toronto (a less than two hour trip).

If you are feeling adventurous you could try the newly resurrected Rochester to Toronto fast ferry. The Spirit of Ontario (also nicknamed the Cat) takes about two and a half hours to cross the lake, and departs Rochester at 3:30 pm with #48 arriving Rochester at 8:08 am. A one-way fare is about $37.00. I sailed on the ferry last week and it is quite a decent ship. Unfortunately last year it went bankrupt after three months of service. Here's hoping it will be more succesful this year.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going WEST not east.
The ferry thing sounds interesting. I'll look into it - going East, departing Toronto to Rochester to hook up with #49 to CHI. The advantage to the Lakeshore Ltd is not having to overnight in CHI - I can get a sleeper on the train cheaper - I can't say the amount, right? But then I'd miss riding through Michigan.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure how much time you have but just wanted to mention another possible alternative, the NYC to Montreal run on the Adirondack is gorgeous (if everything works out weatherwise and trainwise), though long. Of course, the Hudson River portion to Albany is the same as the Maple Leaf (be sure to sit on left/west side facing forward), but whereas the Maple Leaf then turns and follows the same route as Lakeshore Ltd from Albany to Buffalo, not too scenic (though with a few OK vistas if you continue on the the left/Mohawk/Erie Canal side), the Adirondack north of Albany (you must switch sides!!!) or, rather, starting around Fort Edward, has gorgeous Lake Champlain/Vermont mountains all the way to Plattsburgh, maybe 4-5 hours. And overnighting in Montreal is never a chore--so much good food, so little time! From there you could take VIARail to Toronto and do your ferry thing, or to Sarnia or Windsor and cross over with a taxi (or bus?) to Amtrak in Michigan. The whole thing would definitely be a lot more expensive and time consuming but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

I have never been on the Maple Leaf or Niagara Falls trains beyond Buffalo, so I don't know re scenery there I have been past Buffalo only on the Lakeshore Ltd, a fairly dull run to Cleveland or Chicago--very little of the Lakeshore to be seen!!!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Detroit to Windsor by taxi is probably your best option. You might be crossing an international boundary but cross-border taxi rides are very common between these two cities. Or:

Take Detroit Transit to the Windsor Transit's "Tunnel Bus" stop in Downtown Detroit. Go thru the tunnel and connect to a eastbound #2 crosstown getting of at Walkerville Rd. It's only a block or two to VIA.

http://www.citywindsor.ca/001204.asp

The Ferry connection from Rochester to Toronto sounds interesting:

http://www.nfl-bay.com/

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can make the ferry connection going from Toronto to Rochester. Unfortunately the morning ferry departs Toronto at 11:30 am arriving at 2:00 pm which makes for a long day in Rochester as 49 departs Rochester at 10:45 pm., and the evening departure from Toronto at 7:00 pm arriving at 9:30 pm makes for too tight a connection should the ferry be late or for some reason cancelled. When I travel Toronto to Chicago, I always take a local train departing Toronto at 5:45 pm and arriving Niagara Falls Ont. at 7:36 pm, thence a taxi to Buffalo's Depew station for an overnight sleeper to Chicago departing at 11:55 pm. A standard bedroom (roomette) usually costs in the $100+ range in addition to the rail fare.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page