RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Sunset Limited

Author Topic: The Sunset Limited
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, my name is Kevin and I just registered. I would just like you to know that if you need information about the Sunset Limited feel free to ask me for that is my favorite hobby.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the sunset limited too, since it's the only passenger train in town. However our train has problems. It has the worse ontime record, worse ridership, highest subsidizes, and it's tri-weekly. What is the problem?
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Union Pacific

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA HA, so true. But that don't explain everything especially east of New Orleans which is not UP tracks.

My top 3.

1. Too much traffic on single track line.(ppl get tired of a train that is always 3-8 hours late)
2. Not enough coaches. SL is always crowded with a 7 month waiting list for a sleepers.
3. Tri-weekly. (It's hard to plan a trip around a non-daily schedule)

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
East of New Orleans: CSX non-signalled tracks for about 200 miles Flomaton AL to Tallahassee FL with very long distances between sidings. Lots of trains and at least five draw bridges between Flomaton AL and New Orleans LA. Draws at Mobile - at least 2, maybe 3; Biloxi MS, Bay St. Louis MS, Pearl River (maybe), Lake Ponchatrain mouth. Remember, by federal law boats have the right of way at drawbridges, so unless there is a train on the circuit, the railroad is required to open the draw span to pass a boat, even if it is Joe Goofball in a yacht with a mast or tall antenna out for a pleasure cruise.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Joe Goofball in his yacht gets a $6 billion a year US waterway subsidy from the federal government for his boating pleasure.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>boats have the right of way at drawbridges

True but in practice that is interpreted not quite as strictly. Many drawbridges are on scheduled openings and boats may have to wait up to half an hour for the bridge to open (there is probably some maximum wait time); and if a train is scheduled and on time, they will wait for it to pass before opening or closing the bridge, as appropriate, without regards to nonscheduled water traffic.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Check out this page.

http://www.lp1.com/TIMETABLE/1_001.htm

gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
In 1970, Southern Pacific's Sunset (not Limited) managed to best Amtrak's 1997 time between New Orleans and Tucson by 40 minutes... even with thirteen additional stops. One might wonder whether the towns along the line today might not appreciate the train stopping in their community.

http://www.azrail.org/railroad/sp/1970compare.htm

gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Good news for the Sunset limited...maybe

"Union Pacific management admits that the Sunset Route is their most congested rail line in 2004. UP plans to have 64% of the route double tracked by 2007."

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page