RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » whitefish, mo (empire Builder)

Author Topic: whitefish, mo (empire Builder)
dotshub
Member # 3988

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for dotshub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello- We are new to this board (have always cruised not gone by train). Has enyone ever been to Whitefish and stayed overnight? If so, where did you stay and what did you do there in terms of tours? We are going to travel on the Empire Builder, then the Coast Starlight and then on the California Zephyr. Anyone been on these trips? Thanks for any information you can give us.Dot
Posts: 6 | From: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dotshub:
Hello- We are new to this board (have always cruised not gone by train). Has enyone ever been to Whitefish and stayed overnight? If so, where did you stay and what did you do there in terms of tours? We are going to travel on the Empire Builder, then the Coast Starlight and then on the California Zephyr. Anyone been on these trips? Thanks for any information you can give us.Dot

My wife and I stopped off the Empire Builder at Whitefish, MT in 2002. We stayed at a nondescript chain motel on the edge of town but there are certainly other lodging possibilities (including ski resorts) within 10-15 miles of town. Several used to be available through Amtrak even at the time you booked rail transportation.

At the time, there was also a Hertz rental car desk in the Whitefish station that was open at train time. Things to do in the area would mostly revolve around the spectacular Glacier National Park.

I would recommend though that you also look into stepping off the train at Belton/West Glacier, MT where the Belton Chalet Inn is right across the highway from the railroad station OR, better yet, the Issac Walton Inn around the curve from the Amtrak stop in Essex, MT. (I've stayed at the Issac Walton). It is remote and right by the tracks. They are also a stop for the Jammers, vintage red buses which take you on a circle tour through Glacier National Park.

I think that you can find links to both of these hotels in the 'hotels' section of the trainweb website.

The 'Coast Starlight' is a remarkable travel experience......particularly the Pacific Parlour Lounge Car which is reserved for first class passengers. I would recommend though that you not plan connecting transportation departing the same day off the 'Starlight'. It's host railroad, the Union Pacific, has several on-going trackwork projects along the 'Starlight's' route and that train has been running about 3-8 hours behind schedule most of the summer. It will be a better trip if you can just take the cruise approach and not worry about missing a flight or another train on the far end of the trip.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just come back from trips on two of those trains (my first train trip). If you haven't read my trip report already, I've linked it here. It's on page two of this forum incase the link does't work.

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/3128.html

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dotshub
Member # 3988

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dotshub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information. We loved your review. I hope our experience is as enjoyable as your was. After reading your review we are rethinking our stay in Sacrameto/San Francisco. We had planned on 2 night in San Francisco but now we are going to look again at where you stayed and also the way you did it. We had planned on the bus back from SF. The trains sounds much better. Thanks again for taking the time to share your trip with us and others. Dot
Posts: 6 | From: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whitefish and East Glacier are the only stops with checked baggage, if that is a consideration.

Try www.glacierpark.org for info on the lodges at Glacier and the wonderful Red Bus Tours (open top antique sightseeing buses with extensive schedules through the park). The spectacular but pricey Glacier Park Lodge is right behind the East Glacier train depot and the Red Buses go from there.

Whitefish is a much bigger town with lots to do and a big full service train station. There are lots of accommodations, none real cheap. Many offer train station shuttles. It is about 20 miles from Glacier Park. Hertz and Budget will meet you at the train and you can drop off at the station too. Cars are upwards of $45/day. Budget has no mileage max; Hertz is about 250mi/day. You may have to get a local number to arrange train pickup.

All 4 Amtrak stops are in beautiful locations. West Glacier(Belton) is closest to Lake McDonald and has transportation into the park. Essex is the ultimate 'drop me off the train in the wilderness' location and I have heard the lodge there is one of the best in the country.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto the thumbs up for the red bus jammer tours. They really aren't that expensive when you consider that the long tour takes about 7 1/2 hours and you'll be glad you don't have to drive the Going to the Sun road. We stayed at the Belton Chalet in West Glacier and liked it very much; easy access to the train station (across the road) and it doesn't have the harried atomosphere of some of the more populated park lodging spots. The red bus tours will pick you up right at the hotel.
I only took note of Whitefish from the train and saw Hertz cars right there. It would be handy if you felt the need to rent a car, but unless you are going to explore more remote parts of the park for several days, I don't think a car would be necessary.

Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page