RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chicago to Seattle

Author Topic: Chicago to Seattle
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just priced a trip in May 2006 for round trip from Charlottesville to Seattle.

If I enter CVS to SEA the cost is $1,980.90 with bedrooms all the way.

If I have two segments: CVS CHI it is $1,016.60 and CHI-SEA it is $1,563.40 for a total of $2,580.00.

Bedrooms on the Cardinal(Viewliner) are $401 for 1 night and on the Empire Builder (Superliner) are $336 for 2 nights.

Why such big price swings 2 legs vs 1 leg?

Posts: 68 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rbamtrak
Member # 1598

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for rbamtrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The EB sleeper prices seem to range from the 336 to over 1000 depending on how many are already booked. Booking 6-12 ahead will usually yield the cheapest bedroom price, except California Zephry doesn't seem to have as cheap of bedroom prices. I booked on the EB for Oct 28th a month ago for 336 delux bedroom one way, that's a good deal figuring dinner meals into it.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the EB it is only $168 per night with a refurb superliner sleeper. I agree that is a great deal.

I don't understand the $401 for one night on the lowly old Cardinal with its don't give a --- staff and worn out equipment.

Posts: 68 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page