RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Book on Tain Travel

Author Topic: Book on Tain Travel
dotshub
Member # 3988

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dotshub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, It's that first time train traveler again. Does anyone have a suggestion for a book we can buy that will tell us "Almost everything we will need to know to book our trip". We are off to the Barnes and Nobles tonight so hopefully someone out there will read and have a suggestion.
Thanks, Dot

Posts: 6 | From: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember not to get "GET-THERE-ITIS" or you will miss the point of train travel.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One book that would be helpful was last revised in 1998 but is unlikely to be on the shelf at your local Barnes & Noble is;

'All Aboard: The Complete North American Train Travel Guide' by Jim Loomis.

I did just see it listed (because I wanted to verify that it could still be found before I suggested it) at www.amazon.com starting at $23.95 (paperback).

There was an earlier series of books that I liked even better. They were called 'Rail Ventures' and featured a detailed guide to every passenger train route in the United States and Canada. Sadly, the author got to the point that he was unable to travel and his books ended with a 6th revision in about 1994. That's a little too long ago to be completely relevant today as a number of Amtrak routes have since been altered or eliminated. The publisher was in Colorado I believe.

Also referring you to Amazon, I'd like to HIGHLY recommend a book titled 'Booked on the Morning Train' by George Scheer. You'd be looking for a used copy as this book chronicles a six week train journey taken in the mid-1980's when Amtrak was under threat from the Reagan administration. Publisher was Algonquin Press in Chapel Hill, NC and the last edition went to press in 1991 I believe.

The book is more a travel narrative in the Paul Theroeux style than a book of tips on what to see and what to avoid. Still, the author gives a pretty accurate account of the state of long-distance rail travel in the United States which is still pretty applicable today. The author is not a railfan per se and he presents a personal, straightforward account with only a minimal nod to the things that would fascinate the most devout rail enthusiast. I think you would find it an enjoyable read before embarking on a long-distance Amtrak trip.

Best Wishes,

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dotshub
Member # 3988

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dotshub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your suggestions. There are so many things we just don't know about traveling by train. Now cruising is another story. We know all the ins and outs and the do's and don'ts. Been on 9 cruises. We are so excited about out train trip.It's like our very first cruise.
Thanks for your time. Dot

Posts: 6 | From: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont you mean: Book(s), LOL!

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the Jim Loomis book (found it at my library) and chose a travel agent he listed in his appendix of "Golden Spike Agencies" (they get this designation from Amtrak after booking a certain level of business, I believe). I was very happy with the itinerary the agent suggested and booked for me. I am normally a DIY travel person and had researched the fares on the various trains, so I know that I did not pay a premium for booking with his agency.

Another book at my library was USA by Rail which was also helpful. One of them had little blurbs of info about each stop, which would have been helpful onboard since the PA system did not function on one of my trips. If you travel first class, you will receive a route summary in your sleeper, but it is not as exhaustive as the book's descriptions.

I know what you mean by the excitement of your first train journey. I, too, have enjoyed many cruises. Train travel is more challenging logistically than cruise travel (if you keep getting on and off the train to see the sights), but also more exciting because of it.

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dotshub
Member # 3988

Rate Member
Just back from dinner and book shopping. Barnes and Nobles not one single book. Can you believe it. We even tried the used book store, nothig. It was then off to the Public Library. BINGO-they had one video and have sent for 17 books or videos. Can hardly wait. Thanks for your suggestions. I will let you know if the books are good (it takes 3 to 5 days to get them).
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that Robert Louis Stevenson wrote a book, or at least an essay, about his rail trip from New York to San Francisco and then to Los Angeles. It would certainly be WAY out of date, but it might be fun to read. [Smile] The title may be "Across The Plains."

Have fun on your trip.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dotshub,

Just curious whether any of the books your public library had requested have come in yet? I'm going to be away for a week beginning Sunday morning and have just one more day to hear about your resources before my trip.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummmm... Trainweb has an extensive book selection for rail fans at http://www.railbookstore.com/
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the Director of a public library system, I should mention that most libraries are connected to a system that can obtain books and materials from other libraries, and this can be a great resource for obtaining books not on the shelves of your local library. Our library is part of a 68 library network that can be searched online, and books can be requested and sent to your local library for pick-up.

My favorite book for train travel is ZEPHYR: TRACKING A DREAM ACROSS AMERICA by Henry Kisor, Times Books, c1994. It is his journey on the California Zephyr, and it has many insights into the "mechanics" of train travel, particularly on the long-distance trains with Superliner equipment.

Another is AMTRAKING by Mauris L. Emeka, Apollo Publishing, c1994. The author was a Sleeping Car attendant and provides tips and clues to make a trip a great experience. Shortly after reading it, I had him as my Car Attendant on the Zephyr. I don't think he is working for Amtrak today.

Both titles are showing some age, but the information is good.

I have also found that as people "hear" that you take trains, they call you for advice. The local AAA has even sent people to me for experiences, and I prepare packets upon request.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USA Rail Guide (2003 ed.) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1841620696/qid=1121522604/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-9391448-0836752?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the years, I've looked at several of the most popular (and widely available) books devoted to traveling by train, including "All Aboard" and "USA by Rail."

Much of the information they contain about Amtrak is lifted directly (sometimes almost verbatim) from Amtrak's own web site, timetables, promotional publications, and route guides. Many of the latter can be found here for free:

www.trainweb.com/cgi-bin/top/tw_do.cgi?routes/indexf.html

The books are okay for the basics. The problem is, there's little or no mention of "essential" topics like extremely late trains, bus-titutions, flat seat cushions, toilet etiquette, why a room at the center of a sleeping car is better than one over the wheels, why every passenger should pack a bottle of window cleaner, and the many uses of duct tape. Just to name a few.

Instead, the most popular books tend to put a very generalized, perpetually sunny "corporate" spin on Amtrak travel, which I suspect leads many first-time passengers to have unrealistic expectations.

So if you're a first timer when it comes to Amtrak? Enjoy your trip. But before you go, read the many postings you'll find on this and other online rail forums. And above all, take the information you'll find in the books with a very big grain of salt.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the feeling Paul Theroux wrote a book about train travel in America in the past 20-30 years; if not, his books about train travel in Europe/Asia and China are very good reads.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by abefroman329:
I have the feeling Paul Theroux wrote a book about train travel in America in the past 20-30 years; if not, his books about train travel in Europe/Asia and China are very good reads.

In 'The Old Patagonian Express' Theroux begins his journey in suburban Boston. He writes about using Amtrak (Lake Shore Ltd/Lone Star/Inter-American) to get to the Mexican Border. I'm not aware of any other writing he has done about trips on Amtrak and that one was nearly 30 years ago.

This thread has prompted me to pull my copy of George Scheer's 'Booked on the Morning Train' off the shelf. It's a great read and he cites Paul Theroux at least a time or two.

--------------------
David Pressley

graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Booked on the Morning Train" is a great read. it encapsulates long distance train travel and reads like a novel. If you can still find it "Rail Ventures" is a great find. It describes what you can see out the window on any Amtrak or ViaRail train. It tells you how much time will elapse until the next sight,but with the lateness of many trains those times are approximate. The last edition was printed ten years ago,but the same sights exist. I bring it along on my trips.It enhances the journey.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found used copies of both "Booked on the Morning Train" and "Rail Ventures" on Amazon.com and ordered them. Thanks for the heads up.

Frank in, finally, sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I found used copes of both "Booked on the Morning Train" and "Rail Ventures" on Amazon.com and ordered them. Thanks for the heads up.

Frank in, finally, sunny SBA

While there are some things that have changed since George Scheer took his journey (Heritage fleet is retired for starters), you will be surprised at how similar the Amtrak experience today is to the one the author encountered twenty years ago.

I hope you will post and let us know what you think of these books once you've had a chance to read them.......'Morning Train' does read like a novel......'Rail Ventures' more like an encyclopedia or dictionary.

--------------------
David Pressley

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will do, David. My next Amtrak trip is on Tuesday SBA/BUR. I'll fly from there on Southwest to Oakland and take the Starlight OKJ/SBA on Friday. Interestingly enough, when I picked up the tix at SBA yesterday the agent was confused by the reservation. I explained it and she said, "Oh, I never would have thought of taking the train to Burbank Airport to fly." She also said, "You do know that there is a good chance that the train will be late from Oakland?" I've been checking it this week and it's been between two and three hours late out of OKJ every day. I figure I'll be able to sleep in and have a leisurely breakfast and then walk over to the station. I'm looking forward to both lunch and dinner (and wine tasting in the Parlour Car) on board.

Frank in dark, foggy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Will do, David. My next Amtrak trip is on Tuesday SBA/BUR. I'll fly from there on Southwest to Oakland and take the Starlight OKJ/SBA on Friday. Interestingly enough, when I picked up the tix at SBA yesterday the agent was confused by the reservation. I explained it and she said, "Oh, I never would have thought of taking the train to Burbank Airport to fly." She also said, "You do know that there is a good chance that the train will be late from Oakland?" I've been checking it this week and it's been between two and three hours late out of OKJ every day. I figure I'll be able to sleep in and have a leisurely breakfast and then walk over to the station. I'm looking forward to both lunch and dinner (and wine tasting in the Parlour Car) on board.

Frank in dark, foggy SBA

Hi Frank,

I'm off on a multi-modal adventure in about 30 minutes. I fly to St. Louis (from Asheville, NC) where I will spend a week driving a bus for a youth group. (Specifically 'The Colts', a competitive drum and bugle corps based in Dubuque, IA.......that's an entirely different subject with a remarkably active internet forum of it's own!)

The bus experience will leave me in San Antonio on 7/24. From there I have a short flight to El Paso where I'll be catching the Sunset/Eagle back to St. Louis the following morning. (also expecting a little lateness for a more liesurely morning routine.) I'm looking forward to it since El Paso - San Antonio is the largest single remnant of the Amtrak network I've not ridden before. (Although I have tried......also another story)

Will post a trip report (rail portion only) about July 28 or 29.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page