RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cool website...shows pictures of Amtrak stations

Author Topic: Cool website...shows pictures of Amtrak stations
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get an idea of how the station will look.

http://usarail.hmc5.com/

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BearCreekHoneyFarm
Member # 3909

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BearCreekHoneyFarm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice site. Very interesting to see the various stations.
Posts: 5 | From: Ithaca | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKS for reminding me this existed. I have seen this before but now there are some wonderfully updated (4/2005) pictures of my hometown station here in SALISBURY NC. Shows off the exterior renovations well...

The small HIGH POINT NC station has also been beautifully renovated and well worth a look-see. Her quaint interior waiting area is quite nice and reminiscent of the old days.

Amtrak it seems is trying to revitalize the WAS-ATL corridor with newly built/renovated stations all through VA and NC. I was at the newly refurbished 'Main Street Station' in Richmond, VA earlier this year on a rail trip Salisbury NC-Virginia Beach and it looked quite amazing.

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, pretty nice site, not only good content but I see they use VML in there Pages, thats pretty Rare

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like both G o d and S a t a n, at least in this one way, Amtrak gets both blame and praise for things it did not do and had nothing to do with. The North Carolina station improvements are being driven by the state of North Carolina, not Amtrak. I believe that Main Street in Richmond is also primarily a result of work by the state of Viriginia. While I do not know anything about work on other stations in Virginia, I would be inclined to give credit to the state. To see the consistency with which North Carolina has gone after passenger rail improvements, go to their web site, www.bytrain.org .

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand corrected. I found an article, afer some research, of when David Gunn came to Salisbury in June 2004 for a visit. Here are parts of the article, some regarding renovation of Amtrak stations:
----------------------------------------
The Salisbury Post reported Gunn spent an extended period in Salisbury, receiving a guided tour of the newly renovated depot. It’s that kind of corridor development – an incremental, project-specific approach – that has surprisingly made North Carolina a leader in rail development, Gunn said.

"The state has had a vision, addressed it step-by-step, and found a way to do it in a cost-effective way", Gunn said. "The state and many of its cities, such as Salisbury, should be proud of what they have accomplished without much in the way of federal support nor any matching funds", he added.

“It’s not replicated in very many places,” Gunn said, also giving credit to California. “...This is an example of how you make progress.” What North Carolina has accomplished has been impressive and represents the way passenger rail should be developed, Gunn said.

Gunn believes North Carolina needs more trains that would provide service on an hourly basis.

"If that could happen, the Charlotte-Washington corridor could be one of the busiest in the nation", Gunn said.
--------------------------------------

Having nice Amtrak stations, and fewer 'Amshacks' help improve the overall image of a community. It's up to the states to provide more money for station improvement and other rail subsidies, or we wind up getting even more highways.

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is Hukkis website, he is a guy from Japan who has take SEVERAL pics of stations all over the country and is soon going to finish in the Northeast this summer he said. Whenever I want to see a station I check out that website too!

PS. I think people should donate to him to get a .com domain name, I had to bookmark that site since its a long free one URL.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reminder on this site. I bookmarked it this time! It is a pretty awesome undertaking and very well done. I just checked out my local stations (SBA and GOL) and OKJ where I will catch the SB Starlight on Friday.

The Goleta Station, by the way, is due for $700,000 in upgrades starting soon. There will be a more protected waiting area, bike lockers, and a drinking fountain. They also promise to improve bus service.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrific website!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite an admirable undertaking! Coingrats to you for maintaining it. Very, very impressive and fun to see the stations!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many states, municipalities and with federal redevelopment funds have renovated there railroad stations. Some smaller ones like High Point, NC and Kingston, RI to Mid size like Richmonds Main Street, Va. They saved the structers first and in some cases brought the trains back. Buffalo and Detroit are just to big to die, Penn Station is looking to "expand."
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trent Lott bill would put station care into states/local government hands and away from Amtrak. Great reform move.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a tremendous website. I use it often when planning trips or sometimes just select a route and look at each station along the line. It's a virtual train-trip!

It is thrilling living in North Carolina and having the chance to see first-hand what our DOT has done in the way of preserving and renovating our historic train stations. All are great for some reason or another but my very favorites are High Point and Hamlet.......a pair of gems that any station afficionado ought to visit......and why not come by train now that you think of it!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at the site yesterday, and now it seems that Hukki the site owner is suspending his picture taking of Amtrak stations due to the possibility of a misunderstanding with the police about terrorism etc. You can see this message at the homepage- [Frown]

http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page