RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Just finished a great trip on the WB Empire Builder!

Author Topic: Just finished a great trip on the WB Empire Builder!
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone! I'm sitting in a hotel in the middle of my vacation that conveniently offers free internet! We just took the westbound Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle on Monday, July 18.

It was a great trip! I was a tad annoyed that I would be missing the planned Empire Builder "new experience" by just a month... but thrilled to discover that my sleeper, the 0730 car on this Builder, was Superliner I 32017 - totally remanfactured and released from Beech Grove in January of this year according to On Track On Line. I was quite impressed by the job they did rebuilding the car. I love the "wood" paneling, the new toilets and showers, and just the general vibe of the thing. The other Seattle sleeper and the Portland sleeper were not refurbished and were definitely showing off their Amtrak Orange. The coach cars looked refurbished - not to the extent of the sleeper, but the chairs had the new upholstry in the same pattern as the sleeping car chairs. And the Sightseer Lounge was definitely Superliner I vintage - and one of the oldest, dingiest Lounges I have experienced. Interestingly, I noticed that all of the cars - refurbished and not - had the new decal system applied to the outside. That is, the big SUPERLINER letters were removed, leaving only the Phase IV stripes. The car number is on the ends of the car in reflective teal lettering, and the type of car is printed only next to the entrance door and not on the ends. (I have pictures if you're confused by this.) Anyway, I didn't realize Amtrak was applying this new external decal system even to cars that were not already in for rebuilding.

The other thing that stood out to me was the friendliness of the staff. The service staff was good, of course, but even those front-line employees that you might not expect to care about customer service were on their best form - the conductors, baggage handlers, etc. Of course, I did notice a fellow with a "Product Line Manager" nametag on - I wonder if that had anything to do with it? I was also thoroughly impressed to hear that, in both of the two times we hit some slow orders, the conductors on board were on the train intercom within five minutes announcing the reason for the delay and the estimated time that we would lose. Now, sure, it was one train and perhaps an isolated incident, but that’s a level of service that not too many transportation companies have yet been able to achieve.

Overall, great trip, nice staff, good food. We ended up arriving in Seattle at 10:06, a good 14 minutes early. I tell you, if every Amtrak trip went off as well as this one, then the supply of passengers would outstrip demand in no time! Oh... wait... it already does that...

I'll post a full trip report (and pictures!) when I get home. Take care, everyone!

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This much mirrored our experience on the WB EB on July 9 & 10, and 12. We were lucky in that I think all the sleepers were refurbished as well as the lounge car which was clean, bright and newish looking. The only thing that would have been more plush would have been a parlour car [Wink] . Our train also arrived in Seattle a bit early. The crew was great and I'd love to do this stretch again, especially with the planned upgrades in service. Maybe with a loop that would take in Seattle, Portland, and Glacier, so I wouldn't have to choose between Portland or Seattle.
Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a great idea - a loop trip including Glacier Park, Seattle, and Portland. Not sure how it would work, but I think they'd get some takers!
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandma Judy-- re: such a loop: Here's an idea from another thread:
http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/3179.html
I quote the author,"dmwnc1959"
"If you do go Eastbound I would VERY HIGHLY recommend taking the incredible Amtrak 'Cascades' Talgo service (go Business Class) in the early morning (dep. 7:30am - arr. 11am) to Portland and then the EB from there. I have done this several times and the cost difference to go SEA-PDX-CHI was almost zero dollars. And you get some sightseeing time in Portland too before the 4:45pm departure."
I'm sure there are other opportunities for creativity, using the 'Cascades' with various layovers to take in Portland and Seattle sights.

Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may try that MKE-SEA-PDX-PSC next time I visit my daughter. The westbound arrival at 5:30 AM in Pasco isn't too inviting. I'd rather go on to Seattle, maybe have time for a cup of chowder, then on to Portland & east to Pasco. Would get me there the same day, but at a reasonable evening hour. To late to try it for the trip scheduled for next week - but I am stopping at the Izaak Walton Inn. I will report on that trip when I return.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Izaac Walton Inn looked very nice. Everyone (!) at the Inn turns out on the porch when the EB goes by, to wave at the train. I'm sure you'll have a lovely time, and we'll await your trip report [Smile] .

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page