RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight Question

Author Topic: Coast Starlight Question
KenC310
Member # 4008

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KenC310     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As mentioned in a previous post, Coast Starlight delays have been particularly bad, it would seem. We're heading up to Portland next month from LA and have already taken this into account. We haven't been to Portland before, however. Is there an easy way to catch a cab at 9 or 10 p.m. -- or whenever the train gets in? Thanks!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken--

I wouldn't think there would be any problem. The station in Portland is in a pretty busy area and the station itself has lots going on. A large restaurant/bar, etc.

I was on the southbound Starlight from Oakland to Santa Barbara last Friday (07/22) and we left about five hours late and were more than six hours late into SBA (12:27AM). The crew said that they had stopped the northbound train in Portland because it was running so late and bussed the passengers to SEA.

Generally, people on my train seemed resigned to the problems that the trackwork and freight congestion are causing. This particular pair of trains had also been delayed by flooding at the slough between San Jose and Santa Clara, shots fired at the train and a fatality involving a pedestrian and a freight train.

My own experience was very good. There were not many people onboard. I was in a sleeper that was less than half full and most of the coaches seemed to have only about 25% of the seats occupied. Sadly, we did not have a "real" parlour car but the attendant, Andrea, did a great job on the wine tasting. Food service was excellent and the "Chocolate Pyramid" is a very nice, light dessert. Roger Keilbach was my car attendant. Nice guy who was doing a good job of trying to make folks comfortable. He got everyone into oceanside rooms although it was dark by the time we got to the Pacific. Still pretty awesome with a near full moon on the surf.

Frank in cloudy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am traveling next month and concerned about this Coast Starlight situation. I see some nights it has been getting in after midnight! I stupidly didn't book a sleeper on that leg of my trip (the leg is just from Sacramento to Portland), thinking that since my sleep was already interrupted by the time of departure, and I would spend most of the daylight time in the observation car, and the train need to splurge on another sleeper on that short leg of the trip, since I wouldn't even get dinner. Boy, was that dumb move on my part!!! And when I check about getting a sleeper now, it is prohibitively expensive.

I'm wondering, though: Should I still stick with the Coast Starlight, or should I cancel that leg of my train trip and rebook with Greyhound? I mean, esp if I'm gonna get "bustitution" anyway, maybe I'm better off with the bus, knowing when I leave and when I get in.

How scenic is this portion of the trip (Sacramento to Portland)? Will I be missing a lot on the bus? Will I be missing a lot if the train is crazy late? I guess I should stick with the train; I really don't like buses, and I took the traip to take the train. But geesh, I don't know, I won't see as much of Portland as I wanted if I get in in the wee hours--I'll bee too pooped!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't sound as if Portland passengers have been bussed. Mostly it's been people making same day connections to the EB Empire Builder who have been bussed to meet it along the way including as far east as Spokane. I'd stick with the train.

Yes, the scenery between Sacramento and Portland is well worth it. Some people have been getting great views of Mt. Shasta that they would have missed if the train had been on time.

You might well be able to get a sleeper after you board. A friend did just that on the SB Starlight from Redding to SBA and paid about $75.00 for a roomette. She paid in cash, by the way. I don't know if you can use a credit card.

Frank in, finally, cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for the info, Frank. Luckily I am staying over in Portland so I shouldn't have trouble making the Empire Builder. I will check with the conductor re getting a less costly roomette on the NB Starlight, just in case there is a possibility, even if only for part of my trip. And you have convinced me to stick with the train. After all, it's really what I am making the trip to do!

BTW, can you (or anyone else) recommend any supermarket or takeout place close by the train station in Sacramento where I can get some food to take on the train with me?

I am glad things are finally cooling off some out west!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Yes, the scenery between Sacramento and Portland is well worth it. Some people have been getting great views of Mt. Shasta that they would have missed if the train had been on time.

I concur wholeheartedly. A late #14 often goes through the upper Sacramento River gorge in daylight, which is a real treat. And the Cascades crossing is absolutely spectacular.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Subway sandwich shop a block south of the station at 428 J Street.
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dotshub1
Member # 4015

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dotshub1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sbalax:
[QB] It doesn't sound as if Portland passengers have been bussed. Mostly it's been people making same day connections to the EB Empire Builder who have been bussed to meet it along the way including as far east as Spokane. I'd stick with the train.

Maybe a dumb question, but we are new to train travel. Do they FORCE you to get off the train and be bussed? We WANT to go all the way to Seattle and catch the empire builder there. How can they make us get off in Portland and miss that stop because the train is late? That doesnt seem fair.

Posts: 14 | From: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
You wouldn't be making a same day connection to the Empire Builder in Seattle. I was speaking of people who had planned to do that in Portland to the Portland section of the Empire Builder. Those folks have been bussed from Klamath Falls to Pasco or even Spokane.

As for a situation where the train is annulled (cancelled) at Portland your only way to get to Seattle would be to take the bus. If you are booked in a sleeper I would imagine you would be due a refund for part of the accomodation fee.

Frank in cloudy SBA

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me try to help clarify this. Amtrak offers a same-day "guaranteed connection" between the northbound Starlight and the Empire Builder at Portland. This means that Amtrak is contractually obligated to get passengers from one train to the next, even if the Starlight is running too late to meet the Empire Builder in Portland. In that case, connecting passengers are bussed to catch up with the Portland section of the Empire Builder somewhere down the line.

However, this will have no effect on you since you will be traveling to Seattle, and connecting the NEXT day. This is not a guaranteed same-day connection, so you will not be bussed to Seattle.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
If I am going to Portland, but not leaving same day on the Empire Builder, can I still take the bus if I want?
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To get back to the original question, I don't think there would be any problem getting a taxi regardless of when the CS arrived in PDX. I took the trip to SEA in May. We arrived at about 11:30pm. Even after waiting about 20 minutes for my checked luggage, I went outside, and the taxis were lined up like a bunch of hungry sharks. I don't think that Portland would be any different. In any case, I will doing the trip from LAX to Portland myself on Labor Day, so I shall soon know. If you are on a tight schedule, don't take Amtrak, take Southwest Airlines. The stretch from Klamath Falls to Eugene is not to be missed. This is an experience to be savored like a fine wine, and not to be rushed.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The major issue I forsee is that lately the StarLATE has been really late - I mean, rivalling the Sunset Ltd in terms of non-punctuality. BNSF has roughly the same traffic levels as UP, yet BNSF handles the Builder & the SW Chief on their transcon mains without missing a beat. The Coast StarLate, today, left LA over 7 hours late. Last nights's southbound Starlate arrived into LA over 9 hours late. With these types of delays, have some flexibility in your travel plans. Also remember that UPRR, the landlord, has a lot of traffic on its lines, and that most people are unaware of just how loaded the freight RRs are with traffic.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some arrival stats, from another website:

#11 Los Angeles Arrival Status
Date Late On Time Early
6-Jun-05 8h 25m
7-Jun-05 6h 50m
8-Jun-05 15h 40m <--2nd Latest
9-Jun-05 6h 24m
10-Jun-05 5h 42m
11-Jun-05 3h 52m
12-Jun-05 1h 58m <--Most on-time
13-Jun-05 4h 6m
14-Jun-05 2h 45m
15-Jun-05 5h 29m
16-Jun-05 3h 5m
17-Jun-05 6h 28m
18-Jun-05 3h 58m
19-Jun-05 3h 24m
20-Jun-05 4h 0m
21-Jun-05 4h 0m
22-Jun-05 5h 21m
23-Jun-05 4h 39m
24-Jun-05 3h 47m
25-Jun-05 6h 21m
26-Jun-05 2h 3m
27-Jun-05 7h 56m
28-Jun-05 3h 3m
29-Jun-05 8h 5m
30-Jun-05 5h 5m
1-Jul-05 8h 23m
2-Jul-05 4h 39m
3-Jul-05 2h 51m
4-Jul-05 4h 39m
5-Jul-05 3h 41m
6-Jul-05 8h 21m
7-Jul-05 4h 30m
8-Jul-05 5h 31m
9-Jul-05 7h 9m
10-Jul-05 1h 48m
11-Jul-05 5h 22m
12-Jul-05 4h 11m
13-Jul-05 4h 11m
14-Jul-05 2h 38m
15-Jul-05 5h 4m
16-Jul-05 3h 48m
17-Jul-05 4h 16m
18-Jul-05 4h 14m
19-Jul-05 4h 44m
20-Jul-05 6h 55m
21-Jul-05 7h 22m
22-Jul-05 5h 43m
23-Jul-05 10h 3m
24-Jul-05 13h 3m
25-Jul-05 4h 40m
26-Jul-05 18h 36m <--Latest

#14 Sacramento Arrival Status
Date Late On Time Early
7-Jun-05 2h 55m
8-Jun-05 5h 49m
9-Jun-05 5h 15m
10-Jun-05 16h 0m <--Latest
11-Jun-05 1h 43m
12-Jun-05 3h 30m
13-Jun-05 3h 14m
14-Jun-05 3h 34m
15-Jun-05 1h 59m
16-Jun-05 3h 26m
17-Jun-05 3h 22m
18-Jun-05 3h 33m
19-Jun-05 1h 11m
20-Jun-05 0h 49m
21-Jun-05 1h 29m
22-Jun-05 1h 11m
23-Jun-05 3h 11m
24-Jun-05 2h 33m
25-Jun-05 0h 32m <--Most on-time
26-Jun-05 4h 58m
27-Jun-05 2h 7m
28-Jun-05 3h 0m
29-Jun-05 1h 18m
30-Jun-05 3h 31m
1-Jul-05 2h 50m
2-Jul-05 3h 47m
3-Jul-05 5h 55m
4-Jul-05 1h 47m
5-Jul-05 2h 13m
6-Jul-05 1h 9m
7-Jul-05 2h 49m
8-Jul-05 1h 15m
9-Jul-05 3h 17m
10-Jul-05 3h 45m
11-Jul-05 1h 12m
12-Jul-05 2h 18m
13-Jul-05 3h 4m
14-Jul-05 1h 18m
15-Jul-05 2h 26m
16-Jul-05 3h 18m
17-Jul-05 1h 38m
18-Jul-05 1h 32m
19-Jul-05 5h 3m
20-Jul-05 5h 20m
21-Jul-05 4h 47m
22-Jul-05 6h 5m
23-Jul-05 4h 18m
24-Jul-05 7h 1m
25-Jul-05 2h 15m
26-Jul-05 6h 26m

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope it's not late whenI tkae it

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page