RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Via's New Easterly Service

Author Topic: Via's New Easterly Service
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to take advantage of Via Rail’s special offer to travel on its new Easterly class (first-class) service on the Ocean trains 14 and 15. I was able to travel free for less than the usual number of frequent rail points (Via’s Preference programme).

I departed Toronto on Friday the 22nd of July/05 on the overnight Enterprise to Montreal and then connected to the e/b Ocean #14 to a small town called Amherst Nova Scotia. Since I just wanted to ride the train, I was able to connect in Amherst to the w/b #15 with a three-hour layover, thus avoiding hotel costs if I went all the way to Halifax.

I travelled both ways in Via’s new Renaissance (ren) equipment that included the new-style dining car in addition to the sleepers which are the same as on the (soon to be discontinued) Enterprise. This new Easterly service only runs during the height of the tourist season, meaning summer and a bit of spring and fall. In addition to the ren equipment, Via added its 1950’s Park-series observation dome to the end of the train by means of a transition car that has special devices that allow the attachment of the ren’s European couplers to standard North American couplers. It was a strange car, essentially empty except for a few pictures on the walls and some refrigeration and storage facilities.

I had a deluxe bedroom on all the sleeper trains which means you have a shower in the toilet annex similar to Amtrak’s deluxe bedroom, except the ren facility is about twice the size of Amtrak’s. These cars ride quite smoothly over some of the worst track in Eastern Canada, which compensates to some degree for the quite narrow bed (meaning less chance of falling to the floor). A few problems with the shower: on my e/b trip the water was far too hot as the temperature control knob did not work, and returning w/b I had to shower in barely lukewarm water as again I could not adjust the temperature. Otherwise there were no mechanical faults.

In the ren dining car I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food. Unlike the Budd-built stainless steel cars (that run on some days and ren on others) the food is prepared airline style, i.e. reheated. I was suspicious as to its quality but I have to admit, that although not gourmet fare, it was quite tasty particularly their fish offerings. However, for breakfast I would not recommend the French Toast—this is something that cannot be reheated.

As for the on-board service, I will have to give it a mixed review. The e/b #14 crew were often difficult to find when I needed my bed put down or ice for my gin and tonic. In fact my attendant disappeared at Moncton leaving my car unstaffed (obviously he didn’t receive a tip). The crew often did not announce the station stops, and when my train arrived in Amherst I did not realize we were there and almost ended up in Halifax. Coming back, the crew was much better as the stations were announced and my sleeping car attendant brought me ice when requested.

So what do I prefer, the new Renaissance or the old stainless steel equipment? Well that depends. If I have a double bedroom or drawing room I much prefer the stainless steel cars, but if I have a roomette then ren wins hands down. Via will sell you a ren bedroom for just a little more than the price of a very small and cramped roomette (and by roomette I mean the traditional use of that term not Amtrak’s). As for the diner, I still prefer the old stainless steal diner with meals cooked on board. Although the ren diner's meals were surprisingly good, food cooked on board is still better.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also took advantage of the VIA Preference offer. Last winter I rode to and from Halifax on the stainless-steel Budd-built train. The dining car food, although cooked on board, was very mediocre to say the least. I had been assured by a service manager that the reheated food would be better. Indeed it was. Perhaps there was a plot to downgrade the dining car meals so that the reheated meals would be appreciated, but of course I cannot say. The food is not airline style in the sense that it is slowly heated in bulk, each part of the main course separately, then plated and garnished in the galley. There is a toaster for breakfast use. In both directions I had smoked salmon with the salad, so VIA's new meal service started with a B+ well before the main course arrived.

The cars do ride extremely well. The coaches have had their rearward facing seating (four rows per coach) replaced with quad seating on one side and two facing on the other. (Because of the narrower than standard widths of the cars, there is "2 + 1" seating in the coaches.) There is an adjustable table in each facing group. Whilst this may be reasonably comfortable for a day trip, it looks terribly crowded for an overnight journey.

It was great to have the "Park car" on the end. When this equipment first came over from England, there was a display train sent to various cities. I attended the display in Toronto and met the Director of Eastern Services. I asked him if there would be a Park car on the rear. He said no, because "it couldn't be done." I asked him if there can be an adjustment of couplers in order to put locomotives on the front, why can't there be an adjustment to the rear for a Park car? He had no answer. Thankfully they came to their senses.

VIA Preference did foul up my booking. Firstly, they did not properly issue assignment of space in Easterly Class or Touring Class as many staff call it. There are two classes of sleeping car until the end of Oct. Although the sleepers are identical, it is a matter of service. Meals (except lunch) are included and access to the Park car is available to those in the premium fare category. Those in the "low rent district" may buy their meals in the dining car and have use of a mid-train lounge. The service manager of the eastbound train has known me for many years, so at check-in time he believed me when I said I had paid, with points, for the Easterly Class and I was given meal tickets. At my destination, I had the ticket agent assist me in getting the ticket changed for the return trip. There was also a duplicate sale of my bedroom, but the attendant found me a deluxe bedroom (with shower) in the same sleeper so I did well.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am booked on the Ocean in the upgraded Easterly Class in late October. Wanted to "try it out." Will be on the Renaissance equipment. Looking forward to it.

Any chance they could make a lounge of some sort out the transition car between the Park Car and Renaissance sleeper? I assumed it was empty too, and would be nice to offer more lounge space here. Entertainment space, lounge chairs, etc. They could even put some of the upholstered fold-up chairs that one can find in a double bedroom of the Stainless Steel Budd cars in this car perhaps - bolted to the floor for safety? I am sure there are some extra of these types of chairs around.

The regular Renaissance "lounge" cars are absolutely horrible. I have only experienced these on the Enterprise - but I know they are assigned to the Ocean. I thnk there was talk about reconfiguring these too at some point. For a person that is six foot two, medium build, it is still an unpleasant sitting in the so called lounge. Lots of wasted space here too in the Renaissaince Lounge. I couldn't imagine being couped in a Renaissance sleeper with just this Renaissance lounge car to visit. VIA truly has great assets - the Budd Stainless Steel Dome cars. Glad to see them re-appearing on the Ocean - even if just for peak periods. Too bad they can't assign the Park Car year round. The assign Park Car to the Skeena year-round and then restrict it to Totem passengers, when Totem class is offered in the Peak season.

I think the new Easterly Class, with dome and different class of sleeper service, will be a great test for VIA's Ocean service.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jp1822:

The regular Renaissance "lounge" cars are absolutely horrible. I have only experienced these on the Enterprise - but I know they are assigned to the Ocean. I thnk there was talk about reconfiguring these too at some point. For a person that is six foot two, medium build, it is still an unpleasant sitting in the so called lounge. Lots of wasted space here too in the Renaissaince Lounge. I couldn't imagine being couped in a Renaissance sleeper with just this Renaissance lounge car to visit. VIA truly has great assets - the Budd Stainless Steel Dome cars. Glad to see them re-appearing on the Ocean - even if just for peak periods. Too bad they can't assign the Park Car year round. The assign Park Car to the Skeena year-round and then restrict it to Totem passengers, when Totem class is offered in the Peak season.

The Renaissance lounge cars (service cars) used on the Ocean have not yet been reconfigured, but they have been "re-seated" (to use VIA's terminology.) The seating arrangement is the same, but the seats are deeper so you don't feel that you will slide out and end up on the floor. It appears to be vinyl covering and they are the same red colour. They are reasonably comfortable. There is still the wasted standing area.

There are three of these lounge cars used. The first one is for coach passengers. The second one, immediately ahead of the dining car, is for Comfort Class sleeper passengers and the third one behind the diner is for Easterly Class sleeper passengers. The galley of the service car ahead of the diner prepares the meals for the front half of the diner and the galley of the car behind looks after the rear half of the diner.

Easterly Class passengers (three cars on my two trains) had plenty of lounge space. Access to the Park car is supposed to be only for those in the Easterly Class, but this didn't appear to be too strictly enforced, but was generally observed by the passengers. On one train, the sign on the transition car's doors read: "This way to the Park car." On the other train, the signs on both the transition car and the Park car entrances read: "Easterly Class passengers only beyond this point."

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page