RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A Good Idea no more

Author Topic: A Good Idea no more
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're planning a trip to Washington this autumn, first time in nearly 40 years. Rather than fly/drive we thought we'd train on down from Boston. Leafing through last years Amtrak schedule we saw an advertisement on page 50 for the Federal leaving both Boston and Washington in the late evening and arriving at the destination stations early the next morning with sleeper accomodations. Seemed like the perfect way to go.
Maybe last year, because the service no longer exists. Oh well, back to the drawing boards.

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd suggest a morning train to NYC, jump off for lunch there, then an afternoon train to DC. At least you get to see the scenery - especially if you're going during the leaf fall season!

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As one who has taken the trip from Washington to NYC and beyond a zillion times over the years I would suggest taking the train from Boston straight through.The scenery from there to NYC is good but from NYC it is pretty blah (in my opinion).We have traveled all over the country by train and this is the only part where I settle down with a book.Itis as interesting as the New Jersey Turnpike.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason we would loved to have taken the Federal with a sleeper is two fold:

It's a chore to get to Boston's South Station for an "early train" to Washington because of the bus schedule from the Park-N-Ride lot we use. We'd have to leave the house a little after four AM to catch an early Acela(Metroliner). Waiting until a more reasonable hour uses up the better part of a day on scenery I've been watching for over 25 years, foliage and all.

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you thought about driving to Westwood or Providence and catching the train from there instead of Boston? I haven't been between NYC and Boston on Amtrak in decades (though I'm planning a trip in the next year or two), but I was just talking to a friend who lives outside Boston, and that is what she does.

If this is not convenient to where you are coming from, I would recommend that you take an extra day, take a later regional train from Boston, and overnight in NYC. The hotel definitely won't cost you more than a sleeper would have, and you can have a fine time in NYC, plus more interesting meals (lunch and dinner) than you would have had on the train. You can then take another regional train the next morning from NYC to DC--the one that leaves at 8AMish or 9AMish.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page