RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The "NEW" Empire Builder

Author Topic: The "NEW" Empire Builder
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just returned from my trip MKE to ESM (Izaak Walton Inn) to PSC (to visit daughter in Walla Walla) and back to MKE. I twisted my "good" knee, so this trip I was in lower level sleeper rooms 12 & 14. I was delighted to find that on the outbound trip on Wednesday 7/27, the Seattle-bound sleeper I was booked in had been refurbished. No raggedy orange curtains full of holes! The bathrooms were GREAT - roomy with the corner commode & tiny sink, and a beautiful shower. Gary, the car attendant, fetched all my meals for me (thanks to the bum knee). The other Seattle sleeper had not been updated, and there were some jealous sight-seers who oohed and aahed over the new plumbing. There were also new route guides (which actually seemed like re-issued guides from several years ago) which were quite complete, a timetable, 2 postcards (of the Coast Starlight?), and an Empire Builder magazine to read.
The Izaak Walton Inn was a lot of fun. Each morning and afternoon, everyone rushes out to waves when the Empire Builder goes by. I took a red "jammer" bus tour through Glacier National Park and was treated to spectacular views and sunny weather. I liked sitting on the porch at the inn watching the hummingbirds in the gardens and helper engines shuttling back & forth to push frieghts over the Mariah's Pass just east of the Inn. The food was excellent, too.
From Essex to Pasco, WA I was in the lower level coach of the Portland section of the train. Although the curtains and carpets were new, the bathrooms had not been reconfigured like the sleeper cars (to my disappointment). However, Paul, the car attendant, was fetching drinks and food for us low-level (and mostly stair-challenged) riders with a smile.
The return trip from Pasco (and what a nice little station they have in Pasco!) to Milwaukee was also in a lower level sleeping car that had been refurbished. I'm sorry I don't have the car numbers for you all. Everyone got a little amenities box which contains 3 different granola-type bars, a smal;l bag of asorted nuts, a sample of some peppermint candy, a tube of night-repair hand cream, and a 3-song mini CD of Elvis music. There was an opinion card for how I liked what was in the box. It was an interesting idea, but an odd combination of stuff! I slept very well, Edward brought all my meals with a smile (and both attendants earned generous tips). There was a wine/cheese tasting in the dining car between 3 & 4 PM on the second afternoon. I wish I could have gone, but drat the knee again. The people in the room next door came staggering back with big smiles, so I guess it was a success. I have heard the snack bar area has been updated, but was not able to go see for myself.
We arrived in Milwaukee about 10 minutes late this afternoon. The train was extrememly full - especially from St Paul. In fact, they took on a group of 25 who rode in the lounge car to Red Wing in addition to filling a coach which was added on the rear of the train and all the empty seats (and sleeper rooms) in the rest of the train. The "train no one rides" was definitely bursting at the seams.
Next time I think I'll drag my bad knee up the stairs as the view is far better on the upper level, but over all it was a good trip. My next jaunt is The Lake-For-Sure Limited CHI to ALB in October in sleeper. Somehow, I don't think it will be nearly as much fun!

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the trip report Grandma Judy! Sounds like you had a good time despite the bum knee.

Years ago when you traveled by sleeper on Amtrak, you got a snack pack that included cheese and crackers, some peanuts and a small bottle of wine. I really enjoyed those. Does anyone else remember this? I think it ceased in the late 80's.

My Wife and I also will be taking the Lake Shore Limited (booked in a sleeper), but we will be traveling a month earlier in September. First train trip in two years and really looking forward to it!

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the wine and snacks in the sleeping car rooms.....the bedroom at least.....as recently as an August 1996 Rocky Mount, NC - Orlando, FL trip on the 'Silver Star'. They were gone by a trip on the 'Empire Builder' the following summer.

And Judy, glad you enjoyed the Issak Walton Inn. That was our destination on the 'Empire Builder'. That 'empty' train was bursting at the seams then too.......just like the 'empty' 'Texas Eagle' I rode two weeks ago.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking the Empire Builder soon too; thanks for the report, Grandma Judy. Sorry you are having mobility problems but glad the Amtrak staff was accommodating.

I love the idea of CD handouts but think they should be train songs and/or route-appropriate, e.g., for Empire Builder, Roll on Columbia by Woody Guthrie would be a good one.

When I was on the SW Chief in May, there were post cards for sleeper passengers, along with route guide and schedules. I sent them (from Flagstaff I think) and recipients thought them a hoot.

I have a question: What is PSC--well, I can check the Amtrak site--but the second part of my question is: how far is it from Walla Walla, and is car the only way to get there?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed reading your trip report, I have always wanted to go to the Izaak Walton Inn, your trip sounded like a good run...sorry about your knee.

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also been curious about Pasco(PSC) as a destination. All my trips have been to Whitefish (kinda pricey) or Portland (lots of traffic) and Spokane is way too middle-of-the-night. It is in a part of the west I have never seen and the train times are convenient for an early rising explorer like myself. It is a fine looking new depot with checked baggage, and maybe also some kind of transit hub?

Sojourner -Walla Walla is only 48 miles east on US 12, but not listed as a stop on Amtrak Thruway or Greyhound. Perhaps a local bus service? In the past I have checked into car rental and the closest I could find was Tri-City Airport near Pasco.

If anyone has any knowledge of this area and how I could get from train to car rental, I would appreciate the info.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PSC is indeed Pasco, WA. One of the "tri-cities" (that sent us to the map when we first heard it!) of southeastern Washington. I investigated alternate transportation to Walla Walla and AAA could only refer me to a pricey car service. I rented a car (Budget Car Rental at the airport picked me up and returned me to Amtrak. Just ask how to get the car when you make a reservation, and they will be expecting your car [during office hours, of course]). As a travel destination, I don't think Pasco is what you are looking for - although I admit Eastern Oregon & the eastern Columbia Gorge is beautiful in a stark, unforgiving way. However, if you're willing to look at a one-way car rental, the following itinerary would present itself: arrive PSC from the east on the train (EARLY AM), pick up rental car, drive east along Columbia Gorge (on Oregon side, consider a side trip to Pendleton for the woolen mill, Pendleton Underground, and Indian cultural center), visit either Mt Hood (south) or Mt Rainier (north), leave car in Portland and resume train trip. (If you choose to visit Mr Rainier, plan to circle the mountain and return the car to Seattle. I prefer the eastern - Sunrise - side of the mountain, but there is no National Park Lodge on that side of the mountain. If it's too cloudy, check out Mt St Helens instead.
I think there used to be a train from Salt Lake City to Portland that went thru Boise and Pendleton. Sure do wish that was still running as the area around Baker City Oregon is also very pretty.
Yes, the Pasco station does appear to be a transportation hub - there was a Greyhound Desk, and at least one other bus company (specializing in buses to Mexico) with desks. There are lots of benches to sit on (although none outside), large restrooms and limited vending machines. It is located in what seems to be an industrial area, so no opportunities for walking around off the station grouns looked very appealing.

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grandma Judy, Yes there was a train that went from Salt lake City to Portland. It was called the Pioneer. It was part of a 3 train consist of the CZ. In SLC the trains split with the CZ going to SF, the Pioneer to Portland and Seattle, and the Desert Wind to LA. We have taken all 3 and I wish they were back. As to Baker City we drove there from Denver a few years ago. We took the train from D C to Denver, rented a car there and followed the oregon trail out to the coast. Baker City has a wonderful museum about the trail. You are right, the land is pretty but I doubt the pioneers really cared . They were busy trying to stay alive.
For those of you who have the time I'd like to suggest "Amtraking" to a central point (Denver, Seattle, etc) renting a car and exploring. We have "done" much of the U S and Canada that way.
People rush off to Europe and Asia but they don't know about our own beautiful Country. Ditto Canada.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the wine and snacks.I f you didn't drink they would give you a soft drink.
There were always 5 or 6 items in the package. In addition the sleeping car "guests" were given favors. I have 10 mugs from the Capital Limited, a really pretty key chain and small basket from the Coast starlight,a bookmark from the Texas Eagle,stationary from the CZ etc. Oh yes, on the Capital were we given small fabric bags of trial size toilet articles,shampoo, tooth brushes etc. I still have my bag which now houses a travel alarm and flash light.
In one post someone,I think it was Mr. Toy mentioned the Cz runing out of food. Most of the time when we board in Denver they are out of bottled water so I now cary a couple of small bottles in my carry on. Also on whatever train I carry snacks like trail mix, peanut butter crackers,fruit just in case. The worst problem it sems to me, is on the Northeast corridor trains between D C and CT. The lounge car always seems to run out of food so we now carry our own sandwiches. I think the lounge car food is pretty awful at best so this is a good solution for us.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page