RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What's up with the Chief

Author Topic: What's up with the Chief
gregbkc
Member # 3726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregbkc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious if anyone knows why the Southwest Chief(4) has been running so late the past few weeks. I monitor this train on a regular basis and have noticed recently that it has all the sudden run (what I consider) late on a regular basis to its Chicago destination. It normally arrives within 1/2 hour of its scheduled arrival but recently has been running 1.5 - 2 hours late) Amtrak has not posted any 'delay' notices to my knowledge. Just wondering whats up? Thanks.
Posts: 34 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting....

I was in Williams AZ on Monday/Tuesday and both the westbound #3 and eastbound #4 came through right on time....or at least that's what the engineer told the dispatcher (heard on my scanner).

Plus #4 was actually given priority over a "Peavine" intermodal freight. The dispatcher told the freight to wait at Williams Jct. for the Chief (which was at Seligman at the time).

Tuesday night #4 was close to on time leaving Fullerton as I heard the horn around 8:00 as it passed through my area (Anaheim/Yorba Linda CA).

So it must be loosing time east of Williams Junction at least from what I can report.

But hearig a dispatcher give Amtrak priority over a hot freight was a nice surprise considering the horror stories of how other railroads treat Amtrak.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's up with the Sunset Limited. It has been running no later than 1 hour late in both directions. Riders aren't use of catching the train within 3 hours of the published arrival time.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gp35:
What's up with the Sunset Limited. It has been running no later than 1 hour late in both directions. Riders aren't use of catching the train within 3 hours of the published arrival time.

Lot's of new padding and incredibly long station dwell times perhaps?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Riders aren't use of catching the train within 3 hours of the published arrival time.

I hope that people arent missing the train in masses!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calm down folks. The Sunset is just practicing for my August 31 and September 5 trip from Houston to Alpine & back. I have to be back at work on September 6, so it has to be on time into Houston {5:30 am}.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gp35:

maybe luck with the UP?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before Gunn can make SL daily, he first has to make the SL run on time or near on time and no more of those 12 hour late episodes. Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe this is a sign.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. David
Member # 4055

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D. David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Raises hand

Last week I took the trains from NYC to KC. The Southwest Chief had to wait for our train to arrive and transfer our luggage. They headed out an hour and a half late.

I can't speak for points beyond KC, but on my portion of the route there were no freight caravans to yield to.

Coming back on number 3, it arrived an hour late from something. We made up half an hour, when the track accident halted everyone for an additional two hours.

Posts: 64 | From: NYC (NYP) | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tuesday, 8-23 I was driving south on I-25 and met # 4 near Rowe, NM, about halfway between Lamy and Las Vegas.It was about two hours late. If you see my post of 8-27 under Western US there may be a partial explanation. The BNSF line between LA and ALB is extremely busy at this time. Even though it is double track with CTC and crossovers every 7 to 10 miles any little glitch can cause delays.

With the increase in freight traffic on both BNSF and UP between west coast ports and the midwest we can probably expect delays to occur.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This line has got to be approaching the need for a third main, particularly since it has lots of long grades of about 1.4%.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard #3 pass the Imperial Highway crossing in Anaheim Hills/Yorba Linda California. Very late at 10:17 AM (PST).

Should be around 6:15 AM if it's on time. Normally it's around 7:00 AM.

But 10:00 AM and up is extremely late for this usually speedy train.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a line relocation in Flagstaff with some redboards set up for MOW protection, which I doubt would delay the train very much, but it could be part of it.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page