RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I am going on my train trip around the country. Starting in L.A

Author Topic: I am going on my train trip around the country. Starting in L.A
passengertrainlover
Member # 3799

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for passengertrainlover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys Im passenger train lover - I just want to tell you that I am going on my train trip - Sept 1 to Sept14 around the country. Starting in L.A on the Coast Starlight then Sacramento,and Tacoma then to Seattle. Then I will go from seattle to chicago with on the EmpireBuilder. Then to Toledo,Oh on the Lakeshore Limited, then back to Chicago and down to New Orleans on the City of Orleans train. Spend the night in the french quarterAnd then off on the Sunset Limited to El Paso. I will be in a Superliner Roomette for the whole trip. Then fly back to phoenix where I live. 14 days check back for some pics & movie clips.

I am staying - 1 day Sac -1 day Tacoma -1 day Chicago - 1 day Toledo - 1 day New Orleans

Posts: 12 | From: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be looking forward to your trip reports and pictures. Be prepared for the Starlight to be very late. I noticed on the Amtrak website that Starlight pax who are connecting to the Empire Builder in Portland are being told that they will be bussed from Klamath Falls to Pasco.

Have a great adventure!

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! I have done cross-country trips like this before and absolutely love being on one train to another for days on end. So much adventure! It looks like you are going to have an amazing journey.

I kind of wish the 'City of New Orleans' saw more scenery during daylight hours too with an early morning departure like the 'Carolinian'.

In Seattle look out for the Talgo Cascades if you have not seen them before, ride one if you have a free day there. Amazing train sets.

Are you going First-Class on the 'Coast Starlight? How about on the other legs of your trip? Coach or First-Class?

DO you have overlay time in Chicago? Seattle?

Have a GREAT TRIP!

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like alot of fun! Enjoy the trip and be sure to take LTOS of photos and videos [Smile]

Enjoy!
Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I'll be looking forward to your trip reports and pictures. Be prepared for the Starlight to be very late. I noticed on the Amtrak website that Starlight pax who are connecting to the Empire Builder in Portland are being told that they will be bussed from Klamath Falls to Pasco.

Have a great adventure!

Frank in Sunny SBA

IT WON'T BE LATER THAN THE SUNSET LIMITED, BUDDY. [Mad] [Big Grin]
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you have a greattrip. I can relate. i ll be leaving on my annual Amtrak adventure Saturday..nine days on the train..no hotels. NYP to Jax in coach..Jax to Lax in a sleeper..then the Bakersfield bus..the San Jouquin to Oakland...connecting with the Coast Star-late to PDX..wish I didnt make a same day connection wih the Empire Builder but I made the reservations months ago before I knew about the daily lateness of #14...then the Builder to Chicago.in a sleeper.after that bus trip from Klamath Falls and the Lake Shore back to NY.

I ve taken Amtrak trips since 1990 and the anticipation is as great as when I made my first trip. No matter how many times I do these journies theres always something new to see..and theres no greater feeling than waking up in the morning in a rolling bedroom wondering where exactly you are..the meals,the scenery and the people you encounter..all part of the experience.

I bring along a boombox and record radio stations along the way I know which stations to listen tothat i like around the country and Ill also record train announcements and personal commentaryto enhance my "audio diary". Along with the obligitory photographs its a nice way toremember the journey.

I ll post a report upon my return

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Starlight has been giving the Sunset a run for its money.

On Sunday, 21 August:

#1 (WB Sunset) Arrived LAUPT at 12:13PM, 2:03 late.
#11 (SB Starlight) Arrived LAUPT at 1:20AM 4:20 late.
#14 (NB Starlight) Departed LAUPT at 11:16AM 1:01 late.

I'll be looking forward to the trip reports. Even the bus ride!

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passengertrainlover
Member # 3799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for passengertrainlover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi sbalax
Thank you for your advise. I was just looking at times the starlight has been arriving. I will be o.k because i am getting off in Tacoma and spending the night then will catch the Cascades train into seattle, that train seems to be on time lately

Whats up Train is 2-3 hours late even into Sacramento. My aunts going to pick me up at 11:59 . I will have to tell her it could be about 3:00.am Great!!

Posts: 12 | From: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
They say track work and freight congestion. And, I suppose when #11 is very late into LAUPT that makes the next day's #14 out late. When I rode #11 OKJ/SBA last month two crew memebers told me there don't have any legal minimum crew rest time except for the engine crew. Can this be true?

I'm most familiar with airline crew regs and I know that both cockpit and cabin crew have minimum crew rest and that if a flight comes in late and the crew needs the legal rest and there isn't another crew available the flight is delayed.

In any case, have a great time!

Frank in cool, cloudy SBA

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I am staying - 1 day Sac -1 day Tacoma -1 day Chicago - 1 day Toledo - 1 day New Orleans [/QB]

You must be Very Happy [Smile]

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
The Starlight has been giving the Sunset a run for its money.

On Sunday, 21 August:

#1 (WB Sunset) Arrived LAUPT at 12:13PM, 2:03 late.
#11 (SB Starlight) Arrived LAUPT at 1:20AM 4:20 late.
#14 (NB Starlight) Departed LAUPT at 11:16AM 1:01 late.

I'll be looking forward to the trip reports. Even the bus ride!

Frank in Sunny SBA

Sunset is running 4 hours and 30 minutes late, BEAT THAT STARLIGHT
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passengertrainlover:
then will catch the Cascades train into seattle...

Have you been on the 'Cascades' before? If not take a little extra cash and upgrade to Business Class,it is so much worth it! Plus you get a coupon for $-off your food purchase in the Bistro, also very nice to sit in.

Enjoy!

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I'd agree with this except I believe PTL is only going to ride from Tacoma to Seattle on the Cascade. I rode SEA/PDX last December and was very glad I upgraded to B/C. Nice single seat on the Sound side, Movie for those who wanted to watch, "Trainshow" to show progress, approaching stations, etc. And, the voucher for $2 or $3 off in the cafe car. The train was full all the way with lots of folks making a day trip to Oregon for tax-free Christmas shopping.

Frank in still sunny SBA

P.S. And, because I filled out a survey, the nice folks at the Oregon Department of Transportation sent me a drink voucher for use on my next trip!

passengertrainlover
Member # 3799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for passengertrainlover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi JONATHON! Nice website. I like the pics. I live in phoenix & we have NO passenger trains. No amtrak!! So I joyed your pics. Thank you for your links on my forum post.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page