RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » question about new empire builder

Author Topic: question about new empire builder
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, I've ridden the EB twice and had great trips both time. I've been reading the Chris Guenzler (sp?)report on the refurbishing. Does anyone know if that Beech Grove car is always put on the rear of the train now? Or was that a special event only? Also, are they now running with domes? Thanks! I'm doing it again in Feb.
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure what Beech Grove car you mean. All the sleepers on the train are refurbished Superliners and the coaches have been fixed up, too (but the coach bathrooms were not reconfigured on the one I was on in August). There was no dome car - just the regular sightseer lounge, which has been refurbished. No lounge car Seattle-Spokane, no diner Portland-Spokane. Wine tasting held in the dining car for sleeper passengers by reservation only on the second afternoon - they came through the sleeping car & took names.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Beech Grove is Mr. Gunn's private business car. I have seen it parked at Union Station in D.C. I believe it and the "Big Dome" were only used for the inagural run.

I'm looking forward to a ride on the "new" EB this Fall.

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jb17kx
Member # 3978

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jb17kx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yeah, sutton meant the "Beech Grove", and it was only out there for a speciality. The same with the dome car. The trip report that sutton mentions, by Chris Guenzler at www.trainweb.com, was that of the "relaunching" of the "new" Empire Builder service, and thus the consist include some heritage/specialty cars like the dome car, and Beech Grove
Posts: 7 | From: Canberra, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page