RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First Class Lounge Chicago

Author Topic: First Class Lounge Chicago
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be traveling from Memphis to Saint Paul. Sleeper to Chicago then coach to Saint Paul. Will I be able to use the First Class Lounge in Chicago?
Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, as long as the train on which you took the sleeper arrived OR departed Chicago on that same day, you can use the first-class lounge. The lounge is called the Metropolitan Lounge and is a tiny bit tricky to find but just follow the overhead signs after you get off the train. After you check in to the lounge and get your boarding pass, you can leave your luggage there for free (though I always tip the baggage handler when I pick it up) and go out and see something of Chicago if you have time; other posts here will give you some idea of what you can do there.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In departing Memphis, you will love the renovations to old Central Station. Make sure you walk down the stairs from the Amtrak waiting area to the old main waiting room......it is a fantastic space.

I lived in Memphis for nearly a year in the early 1980's and at that time the station there was in disgraceful condition.

If you can, get to Memphis a few hours before train time. Have a nice dinner and take a ride on the Heritage Streetcar.....the scenic river loop is the one you want. You catch the car right outside Central Station, ride northward through town by Beale Street, the Orpheum, and the Peabody Hotel. Up by the Pyramid you make the turn and come back south by Mud Island and along the Mississippi River......the best of Memphis from the comfort of a vintage streetcar!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peabody Hotel - Is that the one with the ducks??
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by City of Miami:
Peabody Hotel - Is that the one with the ducks??

Yes
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page