RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cardinal or Capitol Limited?

Author Topic: Cardinal or Capitol Limited?
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which has better scenery? Im going to take one of them in December-January.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say the Cardinal - the New River Gorge is, well, gorgeous... um I'll get my coat.

The only drawback to the Cardinal at the moment is the lack of proper facilities like a diner.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have taken both trains for years.
very good scenery on both so we went west on the Capital and came back east on the Cardinal. I say went because now that there is no checked baggage or diner on the cardinal we stick to the capital. If that doesn't bother you the scenery in the gorge should be much easier to see in Dec. because the leaves will be down.
Re you question about the coaches( in another post) it may be that since the Crescent goes on to NY the coaces were set aside. I am assuming you went only as far as D C

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. David
Member # 4055

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D. David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering that very thing for spring, but if anyone has ever seen my review of my last trip, the smell of the sanitary chemicals on the viewliner were absolutely nauseating, and I couldn't bear the thought of having to travel long distance on one again, much less have a toilet in my room on those (which I certainly wouldn't mind otherwise).

I really would like the Cardinal route but I want to experience something like the SW Chief as much as possible in facilities and aesthetics and am looking to the Capitol LTD.

Any input would be welcome on this end too.

Posts: 64 | From: NYC (NYP) | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have traveled on view liners on different trains and never met the problems you had with noxious smells. Maybe because we travel in sleepers. I don't remember that problem in our coach days,
We always enjoy the service on the Capital. It has always been super. The car attendants are great, the dining stewart and the serve staff excellent.I hope everyone has the same experience as we have!
My big gripe is that the cafe car attendants from D C north are terrible. They are arrogant, surley, unpleasant and act as though if you would just go away they would be very happy.
they all seem to me to have an "attitude". As a very long time traveler I am am not demanding or hard to please. To me travel is an adventure.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. David
Member # 4055

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D. David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds familiar re the Lateshore Ltd re 'tudes
Posts: 64 | From: NYC (NYP) | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my recent trip on the Late-for-Sure Limited,
I noticed one other problem with the cafe car. It never seemed to be well stocked and rarely had what was listed on the posted menu cards. I suppose that if I had to answer for the umpteenth time "we don't have that," I'd be surly too.

I must admit, though, there seems to be something about that "east coast" attitude on Amtrak trains. OK, now you "east coasters" can start hitting me as I've probably started a war with that statement!

As with Train Lady, I never noticed a chemical smell from the toilets in the viewliner sleepers!

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This East Coaster agrees with you, jgart56; the (I believe) New Orleans-based crew on the Crescent was much, much nicer than the crew I've encountered on the Regionals.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Cardinal eastbound is the only way to go.
Go to my story and see what you will see.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/Cardinal.html

Enjoy,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abefroman329:
This East Coaster agrees with you, jgart56; the (I believe) New Orleans-based crew on the Crescent was much, much nicer than the crew I've encountered on the Regionals.

I think you folks have put your finger on something.

I've been thinking lately about where I ought to go on my next Amtrak sojourn. Ideas include the 'Montrealer', the 'Vermonter', the 'Cardinal', maybe a visit to the restored B&O museum in Baltimore (plus some rides on those nifty new MARC bi-level cars), etc.

These trains are on my mind because I haven't ridden any of them lately......I've been on all of the western long-distance trains at least twice (plus one trip on VIA's 'Canadian') since my last time aboard in the northeast. I suppose the combination of less glamorous equipment and crew attitudes have stamped a negative impression of Amtrak Northeast on my psyche.

One 'Cardinal' question. I had several really nice trips with super on-board crews when that train ran with superliners and originated in Washington. Was that train crewed out of DC or out of Chicago at that time?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
David, I think it must have been DC. Our car attendant, Evans, whom we had more than once lived in Richmond. On one trip we were very late getting in because of tornado slow down and he was worried because he was concerned that he would miss the last train to Richmond. The worst crew we have ever had,bar none, was out of NY.
In 1991 we were on our way to Seattle via the Pioneeer. After leaving Portland my husband settled in for a quick nap so I moved to an empty room. I was joined by Harry, our attendant, the head chef and the conductor, In the course of conversation the conductor remarked he refused to have any NY crew aboard because they all seemed to have an attitude.

jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I will be on the Cardinal any time soon due to lack of (a) baggage car (b) reasonable lounge for taking in the scenery and (c) diner. I wish I would have taken this train when it was Superliner equipped. The single level equipment is a real bummer for this train between Washington DC and Chicago. I wish they would return it to Superliner status and just operate between DC and Chicago.

As for the Vermonter and Adirondack mentioned above (I think reference to the Montrealer was meant to be the Adirondack). One of the best fall foliage and winter wonderland train rides is north on the Adirondack to Plattsburgh NY, and rent a car from Enterprise (they will pick you up at the station). Then drive over to Burlington, VT. Spend time in Vermont (Middlebury, Burlington etc.) and then take the southbound Vermonter home. I usually do this routine about three to four times a year. When the ferry is in operation at Port Kent (to Burlington), it's an excellent service to downtown Burlington (avoids renting car out of Plattsburgh).

The Adirondack - you get to enjoy the Hudson River, Adirdonack Mountains/Park, and Lake Champlain. Vermonter - best is heading southbound through the beautiful country landscapes of Vermont. The Vermonter had a refurbished business class in the Spring and was really nice. You can only purchase coach on the Adirondack.

I personally wish we still had the Montrealer - the overnight train from Washington DC to Monreal via NY, New Haven, and Vermont. Would offer a nice option to the daylight Vermonter run! Wishful thinking these days.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. David
Member # 4055

Member Rated:
Sounds like it would have been a nice "foliage" trip
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey notelvis,

If your ridding up to Montreal the best thing to do is to do the circular rout. take the Montrealer North so you arrive right in the Union Station, which is fabulous a nice place to stay is the Queen Elizabeth Hotel which is right above the station and dead center of the city. On the trip south take the Vermonter, only thing is that you have to take a bus to St Alban's which is a very nice little town. I hope the bus still runs it wasn't for awhile. One time I was booked on the Vermonter but the Amtrak personal deemed the tracks unsafe for passanger trains so we all took a bus. We made all the stops but it was traveling Rt 7 and I-91 then we got on the train in Springfield Mass. Also a passanger got left at a stop at a convienient store in Vt. he caught up via taxi cab at another rest stop, not sure if Amtrak paid the fare.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jp1822:
One of the best fall foliage and winter wonderland train rides is north on the Adirondack to Plattsburgh NY, and rent a car from Enterprise (they will pick you up at the station). Then drive over to Burlington, VT. Spend time in Vermont (Middlebury, Burlington etc.) and then take the southbound Vermonter home. I usually do this routine about three to four times a year. When the ferry is in operation at Port Kent (to Burlington), it's an excellent service to downtown Burlington (avoids renting car out of Plattsburgh).

This sounds like a tremendous trip idea. Question: Where do you return the rental car and where do you catch the southbound 'Vermonter'? Out of St. Albans or further south?

Tanner929: I read somewhere (NARP newsletter perhaps?) recently that the Montreal-St. Albans bus is running at the moment but will be discontinued with the new timetable effective October 31. That's a bummer as the Montreal experience is also worth the trip. In the late 1980's I actually rode Chicago to Toronto on the 'International', overnight to Montreal on the old VIA 'Cavalier', and the overnight to DC on the long lost 'Montrealer'. Although the majority of those routes still has passenger service, it is imossible to replicate that trip as a through experience!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page