RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » BWI - PHL ?

Author Topic: BWI - PHL ?
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm likely flying into BWI w/ my son headed to Allentown PA for gymnastics. I'm looking into the possibility of rail between BWI & PHL as I don't particularly like to drive in areas I'm not familiar with - especially since it will be in January. Any experience? Are these routes fairly reliable? Does January weather impact them too much? Are they typical Amtrak service?

TIA

Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goldcupmom:
I'm likely flying into BWI w/ my son headed to Allentown PA for gymnastics. I'm looking into the possibility of rail between BWI & PHL as I don't particularly like to drive in areas I'm not familiar with - especially since it will be in January. Any experience? Are these routes fairly reliable? Does January weather impact them too much? Are they typical Amtrak service?

TIA

Fairly reliable though subject to delay. Rarely anything like the 'Coast Starlight' or 'Sunset' though.

One suggestion......rather than taking the shuttle bus to the BWI Rail Station, you might prefer to spend a few dollars and take the MTA Light Rail from the airport to Penn Station in downtown Baltimore. You would have more trains to choose from (including the Acela) out of Penn Station and you would have a larger, nicer place to wait for your train. The BWI waiting room is tiny and in January odds are that you won't want to wait outside.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to the Amtrak web site and get the schedule folder for New york to Washington. You should be able to ride through to Philly from the BWI station. There are also MARC trains between Washington and Baltimore Penn Station that stop at BWI. Reasonably sure that they would have schedule information available on the web. Then there is the MTA Light Rail that David mentioned. Not sure whether there is an intermediate change of trains or if you can get a "one seat" ride from BWI to Penn Station. Unfortunately, once you are in Philly, you are then on the road.

Actually, if I ws doing this thing, I would be inclined to get the rent car at BWI so I could go around the Philidelphia urban blob. Maybe you could check for a place on the other side of Philly, say Trenton, but I do not know the details of norhteast geography that well. If you have plenty of time, you could probably take trains to Harrisburg and get the car there, but you would have to make a change of trains in Philly for that.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
Then there is the MTA Light Rail that David mentioned. Not sure whether there is an intermediate change of trains or if you can get a "one seat" ride from BWI to Penn Station.
George

Yep.....there is 'no-change' light rail service BWI to Penn......at least the last time I did it there was. The main thing though is that BWI area weather is often grim in January and the light rail offers clean COVERED boarding at both BWI and Penn Station. The shuttle bus to the rail station involves waiting curbside for 20-30 minutes to be picked up (dirty and smelly.....plus often cold and damp) and drops you off without cover (albeit within 25 feet of such) at the rail station. I've done it both ways and prefer to light rail into town.

Sidebar.....BWI Rail Station is pleasant in nice weather and the bridge over the tracks is a nice place to watch the high speed trains which do not stop at BWI. I would be hesitant to expect good weather in January though!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all! I wasn't aware that there was an easy way in to Baltimore to catch Acela or something else. I've never done any East Coast travel, but definitely expect cold snowy weather. It's about $250 more to fly into Philly and almost $400 more to fly into Allentown from here, so I figured Amtrak might be the way to get out of driving much. We would need to travel on a Thurs night - arr about 8:30 - and on a Sunday morning. I do have a nephew who lives in baltimore (works for the sun) if staying and leaving on Fri morn is better.
Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience the NE corridor is pretty reliable, though there have been some more delays lately, and you are right, in January there is always the possibility of weather being a problem. But that would then likely be a problem no matter what mode of travel you choose. OTOH, the more different connections you make, the more hassle it will be in bad weather. And one thing you don't want to do is rely on a train to get you to a plane for which you would lose a lot of money if you missed it.

Have you looked into the cost of flying to Newark International? I believe it's at most just a tiny bit further from Allentown than Philadelphia is, and there are often lower prices flying there. Because I am confused about how you are getting from Philly to Allentown. Is someone from the gymnastics school picking you up at Philly airport? If so, they might pick you up at Newark instead. Or are you using some form of public transportation? I am not familiar with what goes to Allentown from Philly, but all this changing of trains and buses might be a hassle, and not so cheap for two people. Obviously, if you plan to rent a car to get from Philly to Allentown, then it doesn't pay to bother with the train; just rent a car at Baltimore or whatever airport you fly into. If you don't want to do a lot of winter driving (and I don't blame you), you also might look into ground shuttle services, though these can be pricey for two.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really should look at the entire trip as a whole. Why fly into BWI if your destination is Allentown? My guess is you see an attractive airfare on Southwest?

Have you looked at the additional cost to fly right into ABE? and how that additional cost compares to the cost of at least three additional travel legs if you take Amtrak?

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Southwest flies into ABE. Don't know if they fly BWI - ABE, though. Unless you've already got a non-refundable ticket, check the Southwest Web site for prices directly into ABE from your origin.

If you elect to take the train to PHL, there are car rental counters at 30th Street Station. It's less than an hour to Allentown via 76/476, though expect some traffic on 76.

SEPTA used to run PHL to Allentown, but you're 23 years too late for that!

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

The main thing though is that BWI area weather is often grim in January and the light rail offers clean COVERED boarding at both BWI and Penn Station. The shuttle bus to the rail station involves waiting curbside for 20-30 minutes to be picked up (dirty and smelly.....plus often cold and damp) and drops you off without cover (albeit within 25 feet of such) at the rail station. I've done it both ways and prefer to light rail into town.

Taxis will take you to the terminals from the BWI Rail Station for $5-10 per person, they may do the same in the opposite direction. I believe you wait for the shuttle at the terminal in a covered area, not sure if the dropoff is covered or not. Would definitely be worth it to simply get on the train to Philly from BWI rather than taking the light rail to BAL; in fact, the light rail may actually be a two-seat ride.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Winter driving is definitely the concern. Although I grew up in Iowa, I have lived for many years in non-snow climates and since I won't know the roads, I feel it might be easier to get alternate transport to Philly and then drive the shorter distance. I'm still hoping for a good fare to either PHL or directly to Allentown, but I'm not holding my breath!
snake
Member # 2430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for snake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately Southwest doesn't fly to ABE, but they do fly to Philly, looking at the current fares (from PHX) there shouldn't be a significant difference in price compared to BWI.

Almost all air service to ABE is turboprop or regional jet service, not to mention Continental Express's 3 daily bus "flights" from Newark.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page