RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Taking the Zephyr

Author Topic: Taking the Zephyr
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im taking the zephyr in december. not sure if i should go all the way to oakland or stop in salt lake city (salt lake would be more convenient to my home).

I was wondering, which mtn crossing is more dramatic---the rockies west of denver or donner pass in california?

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apples and Oranges.
We found the segment between DEN and SLC rugged and goreous. The train follows the river and the canyons are the stars of the show. The Donner in June is no "show stopper" but the Sierra's are beautiful decked out in their 'evergreen'. A note about the Donner in June...folks having lunch with us said they had been through just the week before and there had been 14 inches of snow.
If you have your "druthers" go on through to CA.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the Zephyr trip (Chicago to Emeryville) in Mid-Nov last year.(2004)
I recommend, if you have the time, that you do the entire route. It had snowed a few days before and so the mountains were beautiful. Both the Rockies and the Sierra Nevadas. Another beautiful part of this trip is the Glenwood canyon area. This is a route that you find yourself sitting spell bound for hours just watching the sights outside your window. Wildlife - Mountains - Canyons -- who could ask for more.
Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely go all the way if you can, and then spend a day or two in San Francisco! [Smile]
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the Zephyr this summer, as far as Sacramento, and found everything west of Denver pretty gorgeous. The Rockies were a little foggy on approaching from the east but once we got into crossing them, they were lovely. The Utah desert was spectacular. And the Sierra Nevada/Donner Pass was also gorgeous, and had a different look than the Rockies. Donner Lake was especially nice, and I made a point of having lunch as we went through the Donner Pass! I found the whole thing very exciting, and thought of how I was on a route similar to the Transcontinental RR . . . next time I will go all the way to Emeryville.

Right now, however, I hear the Zephyr is detouring through Wyoming, missing much of the Rockies part but providing interesting new terrain to those who have done the regular Zephyr route several times. Does anyone know how long this detour is supposed to last?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only remaining detour period for 2005 that Amtrak has announced is Nov. 1-4.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the Zephyr all the way to Emeryville as Donner is a must to be experience under a blanket of snow. The route from Denver to Emeryville is Amtrak's best scenic route.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sacramento will be far enough to get the gorgeous Donner Lake area. And when you get off, visit the Calif RR Museum. Fantastic!
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mary_228:
Sacramento will be far enough to get the gorgeous Donner Lake area. And when you get off, visit the Calif RR Museum. Fantastic!

And if you need lodging in Sacramento, 9 out of 10 railfans recommend the Vagabond Inn....the most reasonably priced hotel of it's class in downtown Sacramento! It's right across the street from the Amtrak station and within blocks of the railroad museum, Old Sacramento, the light rail, and numerous dining opportunities.

The Vagabond is a regional chain with a website. Be careful though, you want the 'Executive Old Town' or something like that in downtown Sacramento.......not the cheaper one out by the interstate!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethelred
Member # 3672

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ethelred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stayed at the Vagabond Inn last summer, and it was very satisfactory. And do go to the Railroad Museum--within walking distance.
Posts: 12 | From: Lexington, MA, United States | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page