RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 24 Hr restaurant in Salt Lake City

Author Topic: 24 Hr restaurant in Salt Lake City
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im planning a trip for December. Ill probably have to spend about 8 hours overnight in salt lake city before taking a bus. Does anyone here know if there is a 24 hr restaurant near the train station there? id hate to have to spend 8 hrs in the station.

Also--is the neighborhood around the station safe at night?

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With it's oh-dark-thirty schedules (11:47 pm WB, 3:35 am EB), Amtraking Salt Lake City is not five-star on the convenience chart.

I took the Zephyr Sacramento to SLC last December. I had the same thought of hanging out in a restaurant until check-in time at my hotel. But wandering around the very chilly and deserted downtown streets, I didn't happen upon an eatery with its lights on. So I ended up heading to the hotel, and they accomodated my very early check-in.

I'm sure there are restaurants open all night. I later discovered a Denny's at 250 W 500 S (little less than a mile from the station--phone (801)-355-1210). Maybe others can help with more alternatives.

You might want to consider a budget motel for your layover. I've used the Super 8 at 616 S 200 W for that very reason.

As far as the area around the station, I've walked to and from there to my motel in the wee hours. But I suggest taking a cab. Cab fares in SLC are very reasonable, and it'll only set you back $6 or so to get to the above mentioned Super 8 or Denny's. Cabs usually await you upon arrival at the station.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks zephyr, hey i was wondering, i notice the zephyr schedule is really padded between slc and elko. I wonder why????
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SLC to Elko=263 miles.
Dep SLC 11:59pm, Arr Elko 3:19am=3.33 hours plus 1 hour time zone change=4.33.

263 miles/4.33 hours=60.74 miles/hr=Not bad.

Track work caused delays this summer (and still may be going on).

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
oh, i forgot about the time change.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MJ -

I concur with those who recommend a budget hotel for your SLC layover. The SLC station, while not unsafe per se, is small and in a fairly desolate area of town......rail yard, warehouses, etc. It's been my experience that SLC in the wee hours is pretty darned chilly in March. I'd hate to be a pedestrian there at 2:00am in December.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page