RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Surfliner Grade Crossing Collison

Author Topic: Surfliner Grade Crossing Collison
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Hit a Mini Van to day Driver was Very luck and lived, not something that happens to often when a Train hits you

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, another..was the surfliner pushing or pulling did you hear?
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon--

Do you have any more information on this? When and where did it happen? I didn't see anything on the Los Angeles Area TV stations about it yesterday or in the Los Angeles Times today (Thursday).

Frank in cloudy, drizzly SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I barley cought the end of the report, there were towing a smashed minivan off the Tracks with a Surfliner in view, it was obvius it was the Surfliner that hit the van, but I dont know the details, sorry- BTW, it was on channel 9

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While listening to KLite 101.7 this morning a collsion of a Surfliner with a minivan was reported as being the SECOND this week. I finally found the one you must have heard about, Jonathon, on the Ventura County Star website.

The short version is that a 64 year old man was killed Wednesday Afternoon (10/26/05) after his minivan was struck by a southbound Pacific Surfliner (#784) which had just left the Ventura Station and was traveling about 30mph. The minivan was pushed about 75 yards from the crossing.

There were conflicting statements from witnesses. Some say the van was already on the tracks when the gate came down. Others say the victim drove around the gate after it was lowered.

The train was delayed about an hour before it continued on to Los Angeles and San Diego.

"Ventura Police are investigating the collision as an accident, Lt. Jerry Thurston said. It is the fifth train-related fatality in Ventura and Oxnard in recent weeks. The other fatalities were ruled suicides."

Now we'll need to watch out for details of the second accident reported this morning.

Frank is Sunny, Warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page