RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Canada trip reposted

Author Topic: Canada trip reposted
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reposting this in a new strand because I just realized it was rude and confusing of me to ask all my questions in the middle of someone else's! Forgive me, I was sleepy when I posted there. . . . Here is the post . . .

I was disappointed to realize that there is no longer a VIA Rail train that stops in Banff but glad to hear there is at least that Rocky Mountain train, though it's pretty pricey IMO. I was thinking of taking the VIA Rail's Canadian across Canada and then the Rocky Mt train, but such a trip is too expensive with sleepers. I thought about getting the North American rail pass, with a couple stopovers instead of sleepers; problem is, I have to stop over at least 2 nights in places like Winnepeg, because the Canadian runs only 3x a week, and the hotel for 2 nights is also expensive! So, unless Winnepeg is a REALLY nice place to visit, I'd rather spend my money someplace more scenic (like Banff). Since I can save up Guest Reward points to make my trip on Amtrak a lot cheaper for me, I am thinking the best itinerary for me (remember, I don't want to rent a car or do any flying) would be the following. What are your comments?

Amtrak to Vancouver via Chicago and Seattle, with bus from Seattle to Vancouver so I don't have to overnight in Seattle
Overnight in Vancouver
VIA Rail Canadian to Jasper
2 nights in Jasper
VIA Rail Canadian to Edmonton
1 night in Edmonton if need be, depends on bus schedules
Greyhound bus to Banff
2-3 nights in Banff including a shuttle to Lake Louise (there seem to be shuttle buses but I must check further)
Rocky Mountain train from Banff back to Vancouver
1 night in either Vancouver or Seattle before catching the Empire Builder etc back east

Does this sound like a good idea, or would I be missing a lot by not taking the VIA Rail all the way at least one way?

I am afraid to travel too much in the off season because of bad weather possibilities in the Canadian Rockies. I guess I could go in May but definitely not earlier.

I was also wondering, is there a way to get from an interesting Montana stop (like one by Glacier Park) on the Empire Builder by bus to Calgary? Or perhaps from Winnepeg by bus to an interesting Empire Builder stop in North Dakota (Grand Forks? Fargo?) or Minnesota (Minneapolis/St Paul)? When I go to the greyhound website, there is no information about any such buses.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greyhound has a bus that goes from winnipeg to fargo.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the Rocky Mountianeer both ways to Calagary
because of the bad weather problem. It rained from Vancouver into the Fraser River Canyon and the next day snowed east of Glacier,BC. The westbound trip was tow days a perfect weather.
The link is for that story.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/Trip_Rocky.html

Enjoy,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I did comment on taking a North America Rail pass on another thread, here are my further thoughts: going by coach is quite an ordeal, even just overnight, however, if you are really going to do this, then I would advise detraining at Jasper not Edmonton for a bus to Banff or Lake Louise. I believe it is Brewster tours that runs most of the bus services in the Canadian Rockies, their website is www.brewster.ca. The Rocky Mountaineer is a tourist train that runs an irregular schedule from Vancouver to Banff, Calgary and Jasper. Their basic service, Red Leaf class, (no dome car no diner) is not too expensive, but for the best, Gold Leaf Class, that has diners, domes etc. expect to pay much more. Their website is www.rockymountaineer.com
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, all. Royal Train, the buses out of Jasper are tour buses with hotels, very expensive, I do not think that I can afford to do that and take the Rocky Mt train. Also, if I did that, I would miss the VIA Rail from Jasper to Edmonton--isn't that scenic?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Thanks, all. Royal Train, the buses out of Jasper are tour buses with hotels, very expensive, I do not think that I can afford to do that and take the Rocky Mt train. Also, if I did that, I would miss the VIA Rail from Jasper to Edmonton--isn't that scenic?

Sojourner, this may not be something you've thought of BUT Air Canada had some relatively inexpensive fares for shorter hops when I was researching a trip a couple of years ago. One of my ideas was eastbound on the Canadian Vancouver to Winnipeg and then fly to Calgary to pick up the Rocky Mountaineer there. And yes.....staying on the 'Canadian' Jasper to Edmonton is worth staying on board for.

Admittedly raising the Air Canada possibility doesn't resolve any of the ideas you're considering....it just raises more questions.

Ultimately on our trip we added three nights in Victoria to the front end, took the 'Canadian' to Winnipeg, and flew home from there.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info. David, I'm not interested in flying, but I am wondering what you think and others think of this idea: I might get the North American rail pass for the month of May, go out on the Zephyr, take the Coast Starlate up to Vancouver, take that Rocky Mt train (which will cost me lots extra) to Banff, spend some time there, and then take a bus to Edmonton, take the Canadian back to Jasper for a few days, then on to Vancouver, and return on a bus to the Empire Builder. If I do this, will I be missing a lot of nice scenery east of Edmonton on the Canadian--or is the nice scenery mainly west of Edmonton?

Also, what about the Skeena to Prince Rupert, scenery wise? Is that really worth doing? Is it more worth doing that going east of Edmonton on the Canadian?

David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:

Brewster runs a bus service (not just tours) from the Jasper railway station to Lake Louise, Banff and Calgary. The line from Jasper to Edmonton is very scenic only for the first hour or so. The mountains are quite a distance from Edmonton, unlike Calgary.
Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, I wouldn't rule out staying in Winnipeg for a couple of nights if you have to. Despite only living 300 miles away from there, I've only been there 3 times in my life, but I wish it was more like three times a year. That might just be the nerd in me who likes to play the role of "international visitor" there. But there are plenty of things to do there, Royal Crown revolving restaurant, the Forks area, other nice restaurants, various touristy things. Of course being 23 I find some of the nightlife activities, though more for people watching purposes than anything else.

Also, there is a bus ran by Jefferson Lines between both Fargo and Grand Forks to Winnipeg. You can get on in either city. I'd suggest staying at the Holiday Inn downtown since it is located next to the bus station and only a mile or two from the VIA station. The listings and prices for Jefferson Lines might be included on the Greyhound website, but they might not be. I think going to www.jeffersonlines.com and looking for their phone number would be the best bet.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenchappell
Member # 2245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenchappell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is scenic you are looking for, try to build in that trip between Jasper and Lake Louise (David indicates that there is a scheduled bus service).

Although I live in the UK, I have driven that route (Hwy 93 the Icefield Parkway) S - N and vice versa nearly 20 times (usually late May early June) and never tire of the dramatic views.I have also been to the Glacier National Park, the Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado as well as Yellowstone and several other beautifully scenic areas in the USA & Canada but the Icefield Parkway just about tops them.

I was also fortunate enough to travel 3 times on the southern trans Canadian route between Vancouver and Calgary when both routes had scheduled services - The sights and silence at Revelstoke station at 5am on a crisp sunny morning will stay with me forever.

Posts: 28 | From: Bristol England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Sojourner,

For the Rupert line look at my "Coldest trip ever story" for more details. It is one of the most beautiful trips in the world and I really enjoyed it over Christmas the year I did it. My first and only White Christmas.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Enjoy,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm retired and last year took a solo trip on VIA's 'The Canadian'from Toronto to Jasper, and hooked up in Jasper with a Brewster Tours bus. (They have an office near the train station in Jasper and are used to walk-ins. Excellent value and expert guide/driver to Lake Louise.)
I have a suggestion for saving money for you: In each of Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff I stayed at Hostelling International accommodations and saved a bundle. I've stayed in hostels (dorm rooms with 4 to 6 beds to a room) in Europe with my sons, and to be honest, I found the finest were in Lake Louise and Banff. (The one in Jasper, however, is not conveniently located downtown) Local hiking tours, restaurant (not Jasper) with liquor licence, Common Room with fireplace, internet,laundry and a separate kitchen if you want to make meals, are all part of the facility. The hostelling clientele have an international flavour and the cost is under CAN$35 per night..compared to Chateau Lake Louise at over CAN$300.
Check out the hostels at www.hihostels.ca and key into the ones in Alberta, especially HI-Lake Louise, Alpine Centre and HI-Banff, Alpine Centre.

Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks for all the info! I have decided to focus on Amtrak trips for now, just in case long distance is indeed endangered, but I hope to do the Canadian in 2007 or 2008 and will take all this advice in doing my planning. Dan, do you think a hostel is OK for an older woman traveling alone? Also, you say the hostel in Jasper was not conveniently located--how did you get downtown then? Was there a local bus? Or did you miss out on seeing a lot by being where you were? Thanks for the info
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner:
Hostelling in North America is not for everyone. But, what you lose in privacy (a private room) you gain in interaction with other travelers (something seldom done in hotels)from other parts of the world. I liken it to going into the dining car of a long distance train. You can be as open to other travelers as you want to be. I find that over a meal, most people are disarmed and tend to be more open to sharing their travel experiences with others at the table..sometimes even their wine. Hostels are like that too. Most people want to talk about their journey and are interested in exchanging views and advice. It is true that most hostellers are in their twenties but I always seem to notice a few grey heads in hostels too. The mountain hostels are very popular with skiers of all ages. As for safety in taveling solo, I can honestly say that I've never had a personal safety concern in an HI hostel and I used them whenever I could on a 30-day North American Rail Pass trip I took around the USA several years ago. A good first step for you might be to stay overnight with a lady friend in a HI hostel in a nearby city (Locations are on the web). That would give you first-hand experience. If you find that you like the idea, then become a member of HI International and your membership card allows you to receive a reduction in overnight fees.
The hostel in Jasper is about 7 km south of town and the hostel will arrange a shuttle van to pick you up at scheduled times at the train station for a small fee. The Brewster tour of Maligne Lake(excellent) leaves very early in the day, so you'd need to call a taxi to come out to the hostel. My advice is to stay downtown at a hotel in Jasper (Pop. 4200)
Both Lake Louise and Banff have small shuttle buses (free in Lake Louise) that ferry people around to local sites.
In Winnipeg, give yourself a treat and stay at the Fort Garry Hotel, just a short walk from the train station.

Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page