RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Seeking Sunset Limited Trip Reports

Author Topic: Seeking Sunset Limited Trip Reports
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In about 2 weeks I will be headed east from Los Angeles to New Mexico, Does anyone have or know of any good trip reports (with pictures would be nice) on the internet?

Thanks

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have some on train web. Especially under the Texas Eagle (tru-cars).

Heres a link to the Texas Eagle section at trainweb:
http://www.trainweb.com/routes/route_21.htm

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read my reports on my web site at:

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Go to my trip page and scroll down and look for the stories with the Sunset Limited in them.

Enjoy.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my report from a Thanksgiving journey aboard the Sunset in 2003 from Texas to Fla.:

"I had made reservations 3 months in advance and mistakenly thought that coach would suffice. My wife & I were scheduled to depart San Antonio at 6:00 A.M., Nov. 23, 2003, and I was excited about the trip but dreading the middle-of-the-night arrival and departure times. If I had booked a sleeper, I could’ve simply went back to bed as soon as I boarded but I was firmly convinced that a more civilized departure time would actually occur. After monitoring the Sunset Limited #2 for days before then and noting the late times, I knew that I was correct. Before I turned in, I checked again on the train status and it was estimated that the departure would be 8:44 A.M. I then talked to an agent and was told that the safe thing to do would be to call at 5A.M. Being a smart guy I figured that it would still be late. After all the train was nearly 3 hours late. Confident that I would be able to climb back in bed, I called Amtrak at 5 A.M. and was stunned that the train had made up over 2 hours. Fearing that more time would be made up, I frantically did some last minute packing and left for the station. On the way my wife inquired about the tickets. After returning for them, we arrived at the station at about 6:08 as the Texas Eagle was preparing to depart. The Sunset finally rolled in about 8 A.M. and I excitedly boarded even though by then sleep deprivation was kicking in. We were seated in the Lower Level in seats that were mounted flush against the end of the car facing the other seats. We couldn’t recline but had ample leg-room and any sleep for me was impossible (Later we sat elsewhere but still no sleep). At about 8:30 A.M. our train pulled out and I had no choice but to stay awake and make the best of it. We made our way to the dining car for breakfast. I don’t recall actually deciding to go to sleep because an over-nite trip in coach is an endurance contest where you just slip in and out of consciousness throughout the night. Soon after we left San Antonio it became apparent that Amtrak’s schedule was the greatest work of fiction in this millennium. We stopped A LOT. In fact it took over 12 hours to get out of Texas! Our destination was Pensacola, Fla. and we arrived the next morning 10 hours late sleep-deprived and frazzeled. On the return trip Dec. 1 a freight train derailment somewhere in Alabama prevented our train from traveling past Pensacola so Amtrak bussed us to New Orleans leaving at 5AM after telling us to be at the station at midnight. From New Orleans the Sunset was amazingly on schedule. Again, no sleep only unconsciousness. Early (1:30 A.M) Dec. 2 we arrived in San Antonio worn out but ahead of schedule. I would do it again in a heartbeat but only in a sleeper. Riding a train was GREAT but I can say nothing positive about over-nite travel in a coach seat."

Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When going over this route, keep in mind that it is often quite close to the old Butterfield Overland mail route (stagecoach) of the 1800's in AZ & NM and parts of Calif. The mountains to the north and south of the RR in AZ and NM were frequented by Apaches during the late 1800's and several ruins of military outposts still exist. There is still plenty of wild country left here; don't let the sometimes view of the interstate let you think otherwise.
Are you getting off in NM or El Paso, TX? Sightseeing from there? If you need sightseeing suggestions I'd be glad to help out.

Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
In about 2 weeks I will be headed east from Los Angeles to New Mexico, Does anyone have or know of any good trip reports (with pictures would be nice) on the internet?

Thanks

I'm looking forward to reading your trip report. I hope you find a good cheeseburger in New Mexico!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page