RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cleveland to Chicago NS Line

Author Topic: Cleveland to Chicago NS Line
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The National Association of Railroad Passengers Hotline for 10/28/2005 reported that the Cleveland to Chicago NS Line "seems to have growing freight congestion." They were reporting on two freight derailments in October that prompted long delays for the Capitol Ltd. and Lake Shore Ltd.

I am traveling from Pittsburgh to Minneapolis in a week, and have been tracking ontime performance, as I always do before a train trip.

The westbound Capitol Ltd. averages an on-time arrival in Pittsburgh, but after passing Cleveland the average arrival time in Chicago is 3-4 hours late. I guess breakfast on the Capitol Ltd. isn't rushed on those days.

My layover for the Empire Building is 5 1/2 hours, but looks like that is greatly shortened, and on the two days with freight derailments the connection must have been broken.

Has anyone had experiences from Cleveland into Chicago in October?

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I travel fairly frequently between New York and Chicago, usually on the Lake Shore Limited. Trying to predict whether a long distance train is likely to be one, three, or ten hours late during a given month (let alone on a given day) is a sadly pointless exercise. You'll get there when you get there.

During my early coast-to-coast trips, when each train seemed to fall further and further behind schedule with every mile, the growing worry that I'd miss my connection (or have to endure a 9 hour bustitution) tended to destroy my ability to relax and enjoy the journey. I'd rather look out the window than stare obsessively at my wristwatch. So these days, I overnight in Chicago before catching my next train.

In your case. . . anticipate the worst. But hope for the best. With luck, your Amtrak experience will fall somewhere in between. You'll have time for a couple of extra cups of coffee in the dining car, and you'll make your connection to the Empire Builder with an hour or two to spare.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly,

I am in full agreement with you. I have, for the most part, stopped planning same day connections between long-distance trains when I travel.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with any travel on former Conrail lines is that the ties installed in the huge maintenance catch up work in tie replacements (and rail replacements) done in the late 70's are reaching the end of their lives, so that unreliability will increase until another catch-up program is completed, and there may not really be one, particularly on the CSX side.

Sibnce most businesses, including railroads, appear to be now run by the worst of bean counting mindsets, everyody was looking at the dollar numbers, but it seems that no one could get through to the that was looking at the materials in the tracks.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the members of the forum were to be assigned to produce a solution to this situation, what would you propose?

This worries me a bit, as the annual holiday trip is coming up, and I'd like to think that there won't be too many issues. I'm sorry that the beans counters have taken over at CSX. One wonders if they are aware of what the compnay has to do in order to produce the money to pay their salaries.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I have a solution, but I just don't get CSX management. In order to run trains, you have to have reasonably good track to get the trains from point a to point b and make money.

So the bean counters say let's cut back on MOW, the track may deteriorate but we'll just run our trains slower and slower. Result: angry shippers, angry Amtrak, and regular derailments, and oh yes, an angry FRA. How exactly does this make sense (and money) to them??

You would think the bad publicity alone, would make them want to improve things!

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the simplest reasons is really very bad. Instant gratification versus long term best actions. Because track components last a long time, it usually takes several years for deferred maintenance to really bite you. Meanwhile, your financial condition looks better until trains start falling off the tracks. By that time the top turkeys that made the decisions have collected several years from grateful (and stupid) stockholders. If you live and die on the next quartely report, the five year look ahead is forever.

The solution? Instead of looking at the dollars, look at the rate of tie and rail installations. If they are below the wear out rate, you are losing ground no matter what the dollar numbers say.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have returned from my trip, and it was great! I left Pittsburgh on the Capitol Ltd. on-time on Nov 4, but we gradually lost 2 1/2 hours due to freight congestion before arriving in Chicago. That still allowed for a leisurely lunch and a short stroll around the Station before the Empire Builder departed at 2:15.

Wow, the renovated Superliner cars are amazing on the EB, especially the restrooms. I arrived in Minneapolis-St Paul 20 minutes early.

I departed on the eastbound EB on Nov 10, but alas, my sleeper was not one of the renovated ones! My attendant said that is happening more often for whatever reason. We were 1 hr, 39 min. late, but reduced that to only 45 minutes late into Chicago.

The Capitol Ltd's 5:35 departure was postponed due to "equipment problems" until about 7:20 which just happened to be past the late arrival of the Zephyr and the Texas Eagle. The staff talk was that had happened on purpose.

The Capitol was about 2 1/2 hours late into Pittsburgh this morning, in time to make the connection with the Pennsylvannian, but what a mess with an overpacked station, and luggage being handed this way and that.

Regardless, it was a great trip with wonderful staff.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page