RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "The New E.B." Trip Report on Amtrak website

Author Topic: "The New E.B." Trip Report on Amtrak website
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this on Amtrak.com...really intereasting! Check it out!

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/Title_Image_Copy_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1093554022237&ssid=6

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a really nice piece. The downside is that it may create artifical expectations for the traveler. The author writes that he rode in a roomette, yet doens't provide any description of the small size of the room. He also leaves out that on the empire builder, most of the traffic takes place on the middle stops, with only 10 % of the passengers going from end to end.

The upside: he describes the magic of train travel. and that is a big plus. The author communicates that quite well, and gives the article a cheerful tone, instead of dwelling on the negatives like tardiness (which is more often than not out of the control of Amtrak). Despite what I've posted above, I think the author does a good job communicating why train travel appeals to some folks: The chance to look out of the window, the chance to socialize with others without the suspicion or hostility that one encounters at airports, the chance to see what there is to see.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
I found this on Amtrak.com...really intereasting! Check it out!

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/Title_Image_Copy_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1093554022237&ssid=6

This is a nice publicity piece but I like your trip reports better Anton!

I think it would be cool next year if you guys could go somewhere on the 'Southwest Chief' like Trinidad, CO or even up to Sacramento and over to Reno on the 'California Zephyr'.

Happy tRails,

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Notelvis!

I am heading out to Lordsburg, NM in November so will have a trip report complete by around mid-late November. [Smile]

CG96, I have to agree about that... obviously just about every trip report I have read the author explains how the train was late or a bit of poor service onboard.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passengertrainlover
Member # 3799

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for passengertrainlover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my trip across the country on amtrak, I did the empire builder from seattle to chicago. After reading the announcement on amtrak website about the refurbished E.B, I was looking forward to see the NEW E.B. I was disapointed on what I saw. I had a roomette and it was just the same as on the Coaststarlight & Texas eagle. The only thing I did noticed was that the shower unit & bathrooms was nicer and redone. I did get a nice gift box with some snacks & a bottle sparkling wine. Well thats my opinion, I just was not impressed. Please reply to me if you think different. Thanks
Posts: 12 | From: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about the coaches? are they upgraded? ive also heard coach passengers can order meals from their seats like the airlines.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Superliner coaches got new seat covers that are a nice blue, and you can ask a coach attendant to bring you a meal as a sleeping car attendant does I believe.
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Superliner coaches got new seat covers that are a nice blue, and you can ask a coach attendant to bring you a meal as a sleeping car attendant or as on a commercial airline.
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive also heard the lounge car has been reconfigured.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lounge car has tables in one section, I think that is new (I'd never seen them before in a lounge car, though I was never on the Empire Builder before either). The snack bar rents out games that kids seem to enjoy, and I saw several families playing them at the tables while still enjoying the views.

There was also wine tasting for sleeper passengers one afternoon!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page